Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email

Cairdeas
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

So.. I use Gmail on my phone.. But have Hotmail too for less important things.  With Hotmail.. I deleted all the emails and they've all come back.. Twice!  Strange Angel x

giphy-3
Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

Aha, found it, that option does not appear on imap mail accounts only pop3,

Frodo, make sure you used the imap mail settings or if pop3 select "delete mail from server" in the mail settings (in mail app, click more, settings then your account)

Message 5 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123309 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

If it was a computer I would say although you deleted them from pc they stayed on the server....then when you set up a new device they all came rushing back??.

Not sure if that is what happened with a smartphone though? I have no doubt that someone with a tech brain will be along to sort it all out (as obviously I am just throwing an idea out there...with no real knowledge at all) @Cairdeas LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 17

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

There was an option in settings to "delete from server" as well as on device, you had to tick it to delete them proper but I've just checked and it's not there lol.

Try deleting a few again and don't refresh the server for a few minutes, it may have not finished deleting them before resyncing 

Message 3 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 123309 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7473 Solutions

Well I never knew that @viridis. I live and learn. I will away and do this on my phone now Bouncy

Seriously I had a similar issue on my PC with an Incredimail email account. Every time I updated to the new version......emails from past two years came flooding back and I knew I had deleted from Incredimail every night. My husband had to explain patiently the bit about the emails not deleting from server...Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 17

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

Aha, found it, that option does not appear on imap mail accounts only pop3,

Frodo, make sure you used the imap mail settings or if pop3 select "delete mail from server" in the mail settings (in mail app, click more, settings then your account)

Message 5 of 17

Cairdeas
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks heaps  @viridis.. Will go sort that now x

giphy-3
Message 6 of 17

Cairdeas
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Just as a wee footnote which may help someone:

If you want to set your email up on pop, and authentication fails, you have to go into your outlook account-options- pop and IMAP settings.. And check that devices are allowed to use pop, and also whether or not they are allowed to delete messages x

giphy-3
Message 7 of 17

MI5
  • 144894 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27775 Solutions
Just use imap....
pop3 is dead and old tech now anyways.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 17

Cairdeas
  • 3570 Posts
  • 34 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

True.. Tho some people were having problems with one or the other.. So variety and all that lol tongue x

giphy-3
Message 9 of 17

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

You don't get the same folder options on pop mail and syncing will be hit and  miss.

Message 10 of 17