cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlimited data package

Anonymous
Not applicable
Apparently not so unlimited. If you get to 3gb in a calender month you get cut off and you can't argue the toss either! You just get fair usage policy, even though I don't remember there being one! Perhaps they could give me a rebate for the 6 years previous where I barely used 200 meg a month, half a dozen texts and a fraction of the calls. If only 3 had decent reception. ..
Message 1 of 29
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

IIRC O2 measure it against what other people paying the same amount have as their set allowance.

Example 1 - you're on a £20 unlimited data sim only from years ago.  For £20 sim only now people are getting 1GB.  Therefore using 2GB-3GB will probably trigger the FUP.

Example 2 - you're paying £40-£50 a month on a handset contract with unlimited data from a few years back.  Well those paying that kind of price now are generally getting 8GB data so the FUP wouldn't kick in as quickly.

Another point about FUP, its not always all about the amounts of data being used, O2 take into account whether your 'unlimited' usage is negatively impacting on other users' ability to use the network.  If you're always in one cell spot and your usage is classed as excessive, the FUP might kick in before 2-3GB.  Thats quite rare, but has happened on occasion.

O2 don't say how much they deem as FUP, because it can vary.

Message 10 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you could argue that as the fair usage policy is not actually stated anywhere what it is
Message 2 of 29

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93984 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

There has always been a fair usage policy but there is nothing to state what O2 view as fair usage. 3GB seems harsh given that some of the 4G tariffs now give you 8GB. Personally I have never used more than 2GB in all the years I have had unlimited data.

Message 3 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it does indeed it should be at least 10gb if they offer 8 on 4g
Message 4 of 29

MI5
  • 149394 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28495 Solutions
The cynic in me says they want everyone off unlimited tariffs and onto a new one wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
They no doubt do but should really be forced to openly show what their fair use policy is I think anyway
Message 6 of 29

jonsie
  • 93984 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Be Unlimited broadband (owned by O2) were reported to the regulator for this when they advised a customer they were going over the FUP on an "unlimited" package and their use would be limited or disconnected.

Be lost the case and were warned not to repeat this and a service advertised as "unlimited" must be just that and not their interpretation.

I'm convinced that if a test case came up about this O2 would also lose, but to my knowledge nobody has ever pushed the point that far.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
I totally agree unlimited should be unlimited and that's that any fup if legal should be clearly stated
Message 9 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

IIRC O2 measure it against what other people paying the same amount have as their set allowance.

Example 1 - you're on a £20 unlimited data sim only from years ago.  For £20 sim only now people are getting 1GB.  Therefore using 2GB-3GB will probably trigger the FUP.

Example 2 - you're paying £40-£50 a month on a handset contract with unlimited data from a few years back.  Well those paying that kind of price now are generally getting 8GB data so the FUP wouldn't kick in as quickly.

Another point about FUP, its not always all about the amounts of data being used, O2 take into account whether your 'unlimited' usage is negatively impacting on other users' ability to use the network.  If you're always in one cell spot and your usage is classed as excessive, the FUP might kick in before 2-3GB.  Thats quite rare, but has happened on occasion.

O2 don't say how much they deem as FUP, because it can vary.

Message 10 of 29