cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent data connection

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi

Since getting my iphone this year, I've been getting intermittent data issue. I live in Essex, work in the City & have been travelling across England. So I don't think the problem is necessarily tied to one location -indoor or outdoor.

I'd see my phone goes from GPRS, EDGE, to nothing. My data connection can take a minute to 10minutes to recover. Utterly frustrating when I really need to access my email or maps.

I'm not sure whether this is device related as I've not experienced this last year on HTC. But then I wasn't a big data consumer in 2012.

Any thoughts? Anyone else experienced the same?

device: iphone 5

plan: monthly with 2Gb data allowance

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93989 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

You can try the usual sim card clean or replacement.

Personally I would make a Genius appointment at your nearest Apple store to have the phone checked out if the problem is existent wherever you travel. Back up the phone before you go. It's worth a bit of travel inconvenience.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
  • 93989 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

You can try the usual sim card clean or replacement.

Personally I would make a Genius appointment at your nearest Apple store to have the phone checked out if the problem is existent wherever you travel. Back up the phone before you go. It's worth a bit of travel inconvenience.

http://concierge.apple.com/reservation/gb/en/techsupport/

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Check your masts.

http://status.o2.co.uk/

Try

Settings, General, Reset, Reset network settings and clean all the ports of dust and lint in your iphone.

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is i cannot check whether o2 had problems in the area im in as i'm "on the go".

Do you know if there's a known iphone issue or o2 in terms of recovering 3G connection after voice calls? My experience on recovery is severely delayed even if I'm in central London.

Just wondering now at this point, but I definitely lose 3G whether or not I made calls.

thanks for the suggestion I will try cleaning any connection points on my SIM/phone.

Message 4 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I would follow jonsie's advice and have the phone checked by Apple.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The problem is i cannot check whether o2 had problems in the area im in as i'm "on the go".

Do you know if there's a known iphone issue or o2 in terms of recovering 3G connection after voice calls? My experience on recovery is severely delayed even if I'm in central London.

Just wondering now at this point, but I definitely lose 3G whether or not I made calls.

thanks for the suggestion I will try cleaning any connection points on my SIM/phone.

Good Morning Auee,

I've not come across such an issue with the iphone models, but obviously that does not mean it doesn't t exist.

You can use the Service Status on any mobile device, Pc or mac.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care.

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will get an appointment with Genius. Please dont close this topic for now. It will take some time.

thanks everyone for the feedback

Message 7 of 10

jonsie
  • 93989 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi all, since upgrading to ios7 I've not had a data drop. The phone seem to recover quicker after a voice call, too.

I'm not sure how to close this thread but I really appreciate all your suggestions. I will bear those in mind.

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

hi all, since upgrading to ios7 I've not had a data drop. The phone seem to recover quicker after a voice call, too.

I'm not sure how to close this thread but I really appreciate all your suggestions. I will bear those in mind.

Good to hear things have gone ok for you with the update to iOS7.

You dont close the thread on the forum but select an answer as 'accepted as solution', which you have already done  slight_smile

Message 10 of 10