cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING! o2 Default credit error stopping our mortgage!

Anonymous
Not applicable

O2 have placed a 'Default' mark on my now wife's credit history without us knowing anything about it. We have agreed to buy a new build home under the governments NewBuild scheme and have paid our initial deposit, however, when proceeding with the mortgage the lenders rejected us stating that it was "too much of a risk". It was only when we checked our rating and did some investigation that we found out it was because o2 have placed a default on her file. What makes it worse is she has just got a new job which is the reason for buying the house, she may now end up losing the house and her job!

This default is for a total of £10.69 and is looking like it will now stop us from buying a £250,000 house. The contract ended in 2011 and according to o2 "was fully paid off", however, there seems that there was actually £10 remaining on the account. O2 made absolutely no attempt to contact us to inform us of this and have instead just passed it off to a 3rd party debt collection agency. This agency also made no attempt to contact us and have subsequently marked it off as a default. This is obviously illegal as no notice of default was issued. Common sense would say that if they had contacted us for the remaining £10 charge, this would have been paid without even a second thought.

We have tried to contact o2 as we have only until the 8th August to exchange contracts on the house which it now looks as though we will lose. However, we are not able to make direct contact with anyone and we keep getting fobbed off with feeble excuses and email address' to contact and no one directly to speak to.

I thought you would all like to know about this as it is outrageous! O2 seem to be able to place defaults against peoples credit files without actually attempting to inform the customer of their intent. This can then wreck their lives!

We will be following up with legal action against them but I thought you would be interested to know on this o2 customer forum. We have also been in communication with a couple of national newspapers so you will no doubt read about it soon.

O2 your customer service is shocking and we need this rectified IMMEDIATELY! This could end up costing you way more than £10.69 unless you act!

Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately not. They said they need instruction from o2 in order to remove it so we have to chase them directly. Very frustrating as o2 have clearly acted illegally by not attempting to contact us before issuing a default.

I'll try and keep you all updated on proceedings but its not looking good at the moment.

Thanks for all your support guys.

Message 11 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
My fingers and everything else is crossed for you Dude.
Message 12 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

So to give an update on this.

After 2 days of trying to speak to someone about this, we finally got through to someone at o2's Payment Management Team. We were on hold for quite a while while they looked into the case and then finally admitted that it is an error and it shouldn't have happened. They have said that the Default will be totally removed by Sunday at the latest.

We now just need to keep our fingers crossed that this actually happens, then if so we should have just enough time to get the mortgage through on time.

Phew.

Message 13 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
slight_smile
Message 14 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

Assume you got this sorted. If so glad you did.

I think this story says more about the crappy "credit scoring" system in the UK than anything else.

I know people who have failed to get mortgages from certain lenders because they DON'T borrow money and have never had debt. And had more money in long term savings accounts than they were borrowing.

No borrow no score. Absurd Smiley Frustrated

Message 15 of 55

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Assume you got this sorted. If so glad you did.

I think this story says more about the crappy "credit scoring" system in the UK than anything else.

I know people who have failed to get mortgages from certain lenders because they DON'T borrow money and have never had debt. And had more money in long term savings accounts than they were borrowing.

No borrow no score. Absurd Smiley Frustrated

My middle son had the same issue when he wanted to open up a contract with 02. They wanted a £100 deposit for the handset because his credit file was empty as he had not made any applications for anything, hence it was too clean.

Funny old world.

Message 17 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well surprise surprise, it's now Sunday and it still hasn't been removed yet despite what O2 said. 9am phone call tomorrow is in order now. Only a few days to go before we need to sign or pull out.

Not looking good.
Message 18 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

slight_frown  Smiley Frustrated  slight_frown

Kick some butt

Message 19 of 55

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldnt expect anything at all to be done on a Sunday which might involve financial institutions!

So...has it been removed now that you've had all of Monday as well?

Message 20 of 55