cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very disgruntled about the 3g,4g service abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello all

I have just returned from holiday in tenerife. I must say im furious about the non exsistant service in that european country. I was tied to using a provider named Movistar. 5 days I tried conecting to the internet with this provider to no avail. the service is woefully slow, almost dial up speed. I tried registering with another provider, orange, vodaphone es etc, only to be told its not possible. My wife who is on EE had a perfect 4g service the entire time. Now call me grumpy but, we are in the 21st century, in Europe with a company run by telefonica, a Spanish company. So why was I tied to movistar with that hopless service. so much so that to get online, I had to pay 30 euros to use WIFI at the hotel and Airport. Now only to find on my return 02 has charged me for this hopeless service. I have been with 02 for many years, but I will tell you now. I will be terminating my contract when it runs out. I will be moving to a provider than can provide 3g and 4g service abroud

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93233 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Tenerife is totally different coverage from mainland Spain. I had problems whenever I went there previously and that was three times a year.

Message 11 of 25

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Tenerife is totally different coverage from mainland Spain. I had problems whenever I went there previously and that was three times a year.

And yet my friend with the villa there has no problems at all. (Though her son struggles when he goes)

As the op said his wife on EE had no issues whatsoever....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 25

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Sounds like EE is the way forward there.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 25

jonsie
  • 93233 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Sounds like EE is the way forward there.

For sure. My wife had problems too, she was payandgo whilst I was contract. Not been for two years though but it seems things haven't changed from the posts by @Anonymous

Message 14 of 25

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
It's quite possible that PAYG and contracts would be different for sure.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 25

Perfidium
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

You think that's Bad
I live in a town less than 50 miles from London and only 2 miles from M40 with no 3G or 4G and very poor 2G on O2 have to be by a window.
Stick an EE Card in and full 4G everywhere
1 phone is out of contract so I know what's going to happen there
Asked O2 when the service will be upgraded cannot get an answer other than check on status page?

That only tells me what they think I should get, Not when I might get it, which is what I asked
Total crap

Message 16 of 25

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
I go places where o2 signal is rubbish and also places where EE signal is rubbish.
Everyone should go with the network that delivers the best performance in the areas they live, work and travel.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable
I too was disappointed not to have 4G roaming in Spain, and only limited by O2 to 3G. I must say that Movistar coverage was good, but when Movistar have 4G and O2 doesn't have 4G roaming agreements, that is very disappointing. I did find that I had to switch off a setting called 'EU Internet' before my Internet would work.
Message 18 of 25

MI5
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
EU setting is only if you subscribe to a specific EU data package and O2 does not have any 4g roaming agreements anywhere in the world yet.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 25

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@Anonymous

O2 have no 4G roaming at present. O2 allow 3G access but at speeds that are equivalent to old dial up modems. 

the main reason is that there is no point in 4G speeds as o2 don't allow roaming in 3G speeds

More info in the link

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Crippled-O2-Travel-Data/td-p/991683

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 20 of 25