Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crippled O2 Travel Data

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

So I just wanted to give you feedback on my recent visit to Spain today and tell you on how much o2 have truly crippled data usage.

So as you know you are supposed to be able to use 50 Mb before they start to slow you down and class 100Mb fair use age before they cripple you more.

Well now I have proof that it's utter rubbishy and they cripple you from the world go and I'm going to complain to both o2 and offcom ( if o2 don't be honest ) as it's misleading and I'm sick of them not doing anything.

so findings in Spain (Barcelona) today and also out in the country side too.

O2 sim with o2 Travel

From switching the sim on I got

0.35mbs up

0.34mbs down

113ms ping 

this was the same from 0mb usage until 60mb usage.

after 60mb usage I now get

0.10mbs down

0.11mbs up

289ms ping

I've manage to use 71.5mb all day.

I also have 3 more sims from different networks and they were all tried on same networks and same times.

BT Mobile: 4G and 3G no problems.

speeds were Above 4Mbs and ping was 110-119.  I ran out of data though for further testing.

Three sim: 3G only

wosrt I got was 1.48mbs down and 1.34mbs up. Ping 119

best I got was 4.59mbs down and 1.32mbs up. Ping 141

But the best sim of all was Tescos

lowest speed I got all day was 1.31mbs down and 0.36 mbs up. Ping 146

best 9.36mbs down and 3.59mbs up. Ping 110.

tescos in the city was great, never failed and speeds superb,  lowest speed was recorded in the middle of the mountain Prynees which I thought was still respectable. 

also I had a full day in France on Monday that we drove for 12 hours from north to south. (I was the passenger) and Tescos sim was again the best. Never missed a beat, I was able to stream YouTube, download apps, update and so on.  Speeds were about 5-8 mbs up and 1-3mbs down.

o2 have absolutely ruined o2 travel in what they have done and when you speak to them they Blaim is on the network which you are using saying it's them that causes the slow speed which is utter bull crap.  

Sorry for the rant, but why can't o2 just be honest and then I could accept this,

just tell us it's throttled or let us use up to 100MB before you throttle it.  

Also so to let you know

it took 20mins to send 1 picture via what's app at 70Mbs before it was taking 30 seconds to 2 mins.  Also iMessage pics failed

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@darrengf If it goes against the KFI for the data follow the full complaints procedure and then the ombudsman as ofcom will not look at individual complaints http://www.o2.co.uk/assets2/Kana/pdf/traffic_management.pdf

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 33

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@adamtemp64

I know don't worry,  I know to follow procedure 👍😄

Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 3 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That's really weird if Tesco's was the best, as they use the O2 network here.

Were you connected to Movistar all the time when in Spain @darrengf ?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 33

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

Every sim was on Movistar today  and also tried on Orange when it bounced over the mountains.

France it's was Orange f

Message 5 of 33

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Tesco wins again.
That was best in Ireland too wasn't it?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 33

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

@MI5  It sure was. I'm just so disappointed that they just won't say, yep we throttle it.

I never complain about paying for things,  but if they offer 100mb or first 50mb etc. Then I expect them to honour that.

what also made me laugh was that Movistar 3G and Edge was the same speed on o2. They were both running about 0.35mbps. 

Also movistar edge and gprs both work as did orange in France. 

I was well impressed with 3G coverage on Movistar. 4G on Movistar was more patchy (Tested using BT sim) but was good. 

Message 7 of 33

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I haven't even used my o2 sim for data whilst in France now.
OrangeF is giving me 6mbps down roaming from EE in rural France and my Sfr sim gives me 18mbps on 4g
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 33

darrengf
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

So I can see that some one else is saying o2 travel in Italy was hopeless and even showed the data speeds, which match mine.

any how, I have received a phone call regarding my complaint.  The lady I spoke to was really nice, but was very honest and advised that I was more clued up that she was and she is escalate what I'd raised, but it would take a further 28 days to receive a response.

if I've had no response then, I will take it further, as it's not unlimited as you can use it. It's utterly pointless the speed, and the whole o2 travel is starting to get o2 a bad name.

just be honest

Message 9 of 33

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
At least I saved my £1.99 a day as I used Tu with a local sim.
The saving more than covered the 4gb of data top up I bought whilst out there. (10 euro's)

Currently using:
Message 10 of 33