cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock my iphone 6s - waiting since 5 months now

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear O2,

I bought an iphone 6S few month ago, and I had to move abroad 2 months ago. I kept my o2 plan which I don't use, but I need to put an US sim card into my iphone to use it.

I contacted you 2 months ago to unlock my iphone and you told me that you started the process to unlock it and it should take few days.. I wait for 3 weeks without any email or anything from your part.

I decided to contact you again regarding this issue, and you told me that now you will unlock it in urgence, so it would take less than 3 days...

I am waiting for more than 2 weeks now... 

I don't understand what is wrong with your unlocking process? I don't use my iphone i bought for 2 months now, just because the people i spoke to on the O2 chat don't know what they are doing.

So please I am asking you a 4th time : Can you please unlock my iphone??

If you can't - can you refund me please?

Best regards, and really look forward for your reply

David

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The iPhone 6s was launched end September so is only 3 months in to the usual 6 month locked in period.

The only exception is if you have paid the CCA (device plan) off in full

I tested this just before my trip to the Caribbean and was told unlock not available.

If all you have used is the live chat then yes the level of knowledge is lacking and regular false info is given out

If you have the transcripts of the live chat follow the complaints procedure at the bottom of this page so these issues are addressed

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 123025 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous You aren't talking to O2 here....  this is a customer to customer forum.

You could ring from abroad and speak to customer services This is the number to phone from abroad.....for pay monthly customers... +44 3448090202 Free   ...For PAYG +44 7860 980 202 International rates 
However as you are no longer in the UK you wont be able to unlock this phone as you are no longer using the O2 network.

Edited to add ...there was a restriction on unlocxking the iphone 6s immediately on purchase. This has always been the case with new iPhones bought from O2...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Cleoriff

Firstly, I still come back one or 2 days each 2 months in UK. And i am using my o2 sim card in US also. (I have a hudge bill each month because of that)

So technically i still use my o2 plan

Secondly, if it wasn't possible to unlock it, why 2 times, an agent garanteed me that my iphone will be unlocked in 3 days? Do you think there are liars? Or do you tell me that they don't know what they are talking about?

Many thanks

David

Message 3 of 18

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I'm sure you don't get an unlock code for iphones. IIRC once o2 put the request through, it's Apple who unlock it via iTunes
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 4 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 123025 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Apologies I wasn't aware you came back so frequently even for such a short time. I would honestly advise you to try this unlock when you get back. You can do it through MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Also have a look at this unlock guide here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SIM-card/td-p/540294

The thing is it can take up to 72 hrs to unlock (though normally much quicker) so you need to get this done as soon as possible

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

You could try the MyO2 route first though. As soon as you go into your account  and scroll down to the bottom of the first page you will see this....just follow the instructions given

unlock.JPG

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144515 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27711 Solutions
Have you tried a US sim in It recently?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 18

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The iPhone 6s was launched end September so is only 3 months in to the usual 6 month locked in period.

The only exception is if you have paid the CCA (device plan) off in full

I tested this just before my trip to the Caribbean and was told unlock not available.

If all you have used is the live chat then yes the level of knowledge is lacking and regular false info is given out

If you have the transcripts of the live chat follow the complaints procedure at the bottom of this page so these issues are addressed

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

They won't unlock it via the usual way until at least March/April, follow @adamtemp64 advice to get it unlocked now if you wish

Message 8 of 18

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
I can confirm policy has not changed yet

"O2: Thanks for asking us to unlatch your device. We're sorry we can't do this for you, we've sent you an email to explain."

Received after a myO2 request today
Apple Watch series 4

Message 9 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 123025 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7471 Solutions

With hindsight @adamtemp64 it's all a bit confusing as the thread title states waiting '5 months now'. Hardly likely as this model was only released 3 months ago...(unless the op has paid off the device plan in full of course)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 18