cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party charges fraud Tap2Pay / O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have an O2 Mobile Broadband data only SIM in a router.

Today I have found that I am the victim of the outrageous third party charges scam which O2 have condoned for years...

The company Tap2Pay have made charges against my bill, which o2 have allowed without my authority.

As is the usual story, I have never knowingly or willingly requested any "services" from this company or any others. They have clearly created some fraudulent advert, link or the like which I have been forced into clicking on or done so without my knowledge due to it being designed this way. I am not a computer Newbie and I am well aware of dodgy adverts etc but the point is clear, the same people that are creating phishing emails, spam, malware and malicicious adverts are routinely exploiting the third party charges system to commit fraud.

The worst part about this is that o2 are condoning it and refuse to act in order to protect their customers.

o2 even instructed me, the victim, to make contact with the offenders by means of a Premium rate phone number so that I could be further exploited.

A quick google and search of just this forum shows that this is a MASSIVE issue and these fraudsters are raking in Millions. I would guess that o2 are silent because they are creaming off a healthy profit from it too.

I think enough is enough and so have reported it to ActionFraud and the Phone paid services authority but given the lack of action to thousands of other such complaints I don't hold out much hope and so have now opted to make contact with BBC Watchdog.

If you have been a victim or know someone that has and you are willing to speak with the BBC then please PM me and lets try and get this in the public eye!

I

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Networks make nothing out of these scams so it's the regulator you need to go after and expose.
Community help guide here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premi...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 22

jonsie
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The regulators need to really hammer these companies but as usual, despite strong words and threatened action, nothing ever happens. 

Message 3 of 22

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9984 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions
Watchdog i think have already investigated this (http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/17489393/warning-over-scam-that-charges-users-to-receive-texts) and the advice is to contact the watchdog..

Not sure why you have involved action fraud, as no fraud has been commited.. unless you can prove beyond all resonable doubt you didnt click on any link that would have revealed your mobile number.

o2 just get a bill saying you signed up to the service, and thus charge you...

Scarily enough people do sign up for these services...

And yes its upto to make contact with the supplier, its not as big an issue as you make out

I agree with Jonsie, but the regulator has no teeth, and if i recall is paid for by the industry
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 22

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous, welcome back!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the rest. To be honest, it is really bad how many scams we see nowadays Crazy

From http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/protect-yourself/mobile-phone-fraud website

Mobile phone fraud

Mobile phone fraud involves a variety of scams that either persuade you to buy phone-related products/services that turn out to be substandard or non-existent; or to make phone calls or texts to premium services by accident, or to unknowingly sign up to expensive subscription services.

What should you do if you’ve been a victim of mobile phone fraud?

• Tell your mobile phone provider.
  • Inform PhonepayPlus (www.phonepayplus.org.uk), which regulates premium numbers and has statutory powers to stop mobile phone frauds and fine the offenders.
  • If you text the word STOP to the subscription number, the sender is legally obliged to stop sending text messages immediately. If they don’t, contact PhonepayPlus (www.phonepayplus.org.uk), which investigates complaints about phone-paid services.

And maybe report it to the police too here http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud?

Please let us know if we can help you anyhow! Handshake

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 5 of 22

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The regulator hands out fines http://psauthority.org.uk/for-business/tribunal-adjudications?mode=all but the directors close the company etc hard to track down etc

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 6 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I invite you into my home and lock the door, I tell you that the only way you can now get out is by pressing a button... I don't tell you that when you press that button to get out, I will take £5 out of your pocket against your will. You try and ring the police and they tell you that it's your own fault for coming into my house...

The networks DO make money off these charges and anyone that says otherwise is a liar, deluded or works for them. Do you think they allow it for fun?

A fraud has been committed because ads are being deliberately designed with the intent of forcing or tricking a user into clicking on them. If I place a card cloning machine over the top of a cash machine, this is a crime... they are in effect doing the exact same thing with malicious software.

The networks are to blame because they allow it and refuse to allow customers to opt out.

The PPS Authority are useless, this isn't a case of someone deciding they no longer want a "service" like a bloody gym contact, this is deception, it is fraud, it is theft...

There is a petition on 38 degrees, sign it. Speak with your MP. Complain to the PPSA. Contact the BBC and whomever else might help. The only way these conmen are going to stop is by the networks being forced to make change.

Message 7 of 22

MI5
  • 143430 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

The networks DO make money off these charges and anyone that says otherwise is a liar, deluded or works for them. Do you think they allow it for fun?

I'm assuming that was aimed at me and as far as I am aware, I'm none of the above.

I am, however, happy to learn from you so I will adjust my advice if you can present the evidence to support your claims?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
The networks are operating unlawfully. Send this to your MP's ladies and gents:-

I wish to exercise my statutory rights to a refund under s.45(4) of the consumer Rights Act 2015, for digital content provided by a company called bounce.mobi.

That is to say I wish to have a refund paid in the same method for which I paid for the service.

My refund is for phone bill premium rate content provided by bounce.mobi that I should not have been signed up for in the first place. The company have agreed to a refund and I point blank refuse any method of payment other than my statutory right to have it credited back to my O2 account.

O2 are unable to process the refund, so I wish to seek redress from O2, for removing my statutory rights.

My contention is that o2 claim they are not responsible for any charges incurred by customers as it is not their responsibility to regulate and they are simply facilitating other companies to provide a service that some might want.

O2 are under no obligation to facilitate any service, this is purely a matter of choice. s.45(4) of the consumer Rights Act 2015 is not a choice but a statutory right that has been taken away. O2 should not have provided any service at the expense of my statutory rights.
Message 9 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have spent the entire afternoon trying to sort this. The same thing has happened to me. I have only just discovered it. I've ended up sending the STOP text at £3.75. I tried to call them but twice my call was terminated, after waiting a while to get through. I have been billed for 4 texts a month since March 2016. I have not received a single text from (Tap2Bill ) 87066.

I was so disgusted with O2 for  allowing this to happen I asked them to disconnect my service immediatly. However, they then said I'd have to pay the £135 remaining for my phone contract (which is billed seperatley) and as I have had over £255 stolen, by Tap2Bill I am not in position to do this right now. 

This is actually theft. Phone2Bill need to be exposed for this and an apublic explaination needs to be given by O2 and any other service provider who continue to charge for a service that is a) not requested and b) not even received!

Message 10 of 22