Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tariff increase

Kev11
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just received a nice email saying the monthly cost of the handset is rising by 13% due to the rise in inflation. 

Good job this is mirrored by my 13% increase in wage…oh wait 😐 

Done with O2 once this contracts over 👍🏻

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93267 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

gkr
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Time for me to switch I think. Been with 02 26 years now but just been to lazy to move. Wife and son are with Tesco - same tariff with them would save me £125 a year.

Message 12 of 21

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 7099 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

Just to say Tesco have introduced a yearly rise for new customers in line with O2s

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 13 of 21

Upgrade_Guru
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Kev, the monthly cost of the handset will not be increasing, it will be the air time tariff, the monthly repayments of your handset are fixed for the duration of your contract.

o2 employee. If you'd like to discuss this further call customer service free from your o2 mobile on 202.

“I work for O2/Virgin Media but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Virgin Media O2.”
Message 14 of 21

Enlli
  • 7099 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

@Upgrade_Guru That only applies on refresh tariffs where there are 2 distinct charges. There are still people where the handset and airtime form a single bill.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 15 of 21

Upgrade_Guru
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

A 24m standard contract is a combination of the bill and the device, it all just counts as a tariff, you receive an airtime bill on a standard contract, the air time will increase by the RPI 

“I work for O2/Virgin Media but my comments and opinions posted here are solely my own and do not reflect those of Virgin Media O2.”
Message 16 of 21

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37223 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1697 Solutions

@Upgrade_Guru wrote:

A 24m standard contract is a combination of the bill and the device, it all just counts as a tariff, you receive an airtime bill on a standard contract, the air time will increase by the RPI 

As @Enlli said above, @Upgrade_Guru:

There is the Refresh Plan, which is what you get when you take out your O2 Contract directly with O2, and which consists of an Airtime component (which increases by RPI of 13.4% + 3.9% this year if it was taken out after 25-Mar-2021) and a Device Plan component, which is unaffected by the RPI increase above.

Then there is the SIM-Only, SIMO, and the non-Refresh, or Standard tariff (what you get from a 3rd party reseller, eg affordablemobiles or mobilephonesdirect, etc) where Device and Airtime costs are bundled together into a single monthly amount, the entire value of which will rise by 13.4%(RPI)+3.9% this year.

It's all about the terminology - and O2 has a Price Change calculator, link below, that helps you understand what the RPI increase is going to do to your monthly bill from O2: https://www.o2.co.uk/prices

These things are confusing enough for people who just buy what they think is a great phone at a just-about acceptable price, only to find they are paying more than they thought after the April RPI increases are applied.

Message 17 of 21

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10628 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3094 Solutions

@pgn 

Bit worried the "o2 employee"  doesn't know the different types of contracts on offer to consumers, god help us if it comes to business and enterprise customers slight_smile 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 18 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146925 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28262 Solutions

Not surprised at all based on what we see here.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 19 of 21

Enlli
  • 7099 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 1586 Solutions

Yes, but they are a guru. And we all know how that worked out 😉

Message 20 of 21