Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam calls since moving to O2 from VM

AW136
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Since moving from Virgin Media to O2 I have received about 6 scam calls so far.  All come from London area numbers but I suspect they are redirected from overseas.  When I ask how they got my number they say it is from the O2 list.  They even send a text identical to the one from O2 when you have asked for a one-time access code, but the follow up text with the actual code never turns up.  I hang up and block the number at this point so never discover what the scammers are trying to achieve.  But it suggests a data breach by O2 that the scammers have obtained the number and have linked it to O2 within a very short period of me moving to them.  Would be good to know if O2 acknowledge and have reported the data breach.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Enlli
Level 67: Unsung hero
  • 7933 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 1652 Solutions

They are trying to take over your account by fooling you into giving the one time pass code sent from O2. Do that and they have got you.

Got one myself this week

O2 seem plagued at the moment

Phishing, Smishing & Scams. Latest info & advice. 

O2 is plagued at the moment.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 2 of 4

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 11595 Posts
  • 64 Topics
  • 3163 Solutions

@AW136 

Quite easy to do, I have just created one in 10 seconds starting with Dialing Code (Publicly Available via OFCOM) and just the number 001001 and just copying the field to 30000 and there I have 30K Number available to scam... 

And it doesnt help that o2 customers post there full mobile numbers on public forums, which gives the scammers more information..

So not a data breach, just some people in an Indian Call Centre, using Excel and Auto Dialers,  If you think it is a data breach that report to the ICO  ( https://ico.org.uk )rather than on a forum...

--
iPhone 16 Pro Max - o2 and Spusu
Xperia 1V - Spusu

--
This is not customer services and we dont have access to your account
I do not work for o2 or any VMo2 /Telefonica/Liberty Global Company
Message 3 of 4

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23994 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

@AW136 You should also report any incidents like that here: https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 4