cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable

I spent five days in France in May and was charged for data as though I was out side the EU.

o2 have refunded my PAYG balance of £110 after a lot of correspondence but they say I must

have been outside the EU. Explanations include that I must have been on the boarder of an EU country

that an airline was responsible etc. I am still looking for an explanation but am met with 'Impossible'

our systems are such that charges are clearly determined by location. 

Another interesting phenomenon was that I topped up with £20 when I discovered that I had a zero

balance, received a message that £1.99 would be taken from mt account which was good for the day

turned off my mobile and when I turned it on again was told I had no money. I had not used the phone in the meantime.

As I am leaving for France shortly for two months and dont want the same thing to happen I have put my SIM in an old type phone ie not smart so can only be used for call. I will then use my NEXUS and iPad for WIFI to read my emails.

Could you please tell me if anyone else has experienced this problem or how it could have happened. I've been with o2 for 15 years and going to the same place in France and its never occured before.

Thanks for your time

Peter

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Getting so many of these posts with people on ferries unaware of roaming charges. My neighbour is with EE and is in dispute with them about the same thing....

However it is clearly stated in her T&C's :smileysad:.

I'll feed this back to the team guys. Do you think more could be done to make customers aware? Would love to hear your thoughts to feed back.

Sorry to hear about this oshoosho!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 21 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149077 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28464 Solutions
It's the prices charged by the ferry companies that are out of the networks control that's the problem - It needs some legislation in the same way as EU roaming has been legislated for.
Ships should put up warnings but then of course, no one will connect and they won't make any money from it.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 22 of 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93928 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

A warning on the international pages about manual network selection may help. You then have the choice of using ferry networks. Also a note about their high charges...

Message 23 of 23