cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable

I spent five days in France in May and was charged for data as though I was out side the EU.

o2 have refunded my PAYG balance of £110 after a lot of correspondence but they say I must

have been outside the EU. Explanations include that I must have been on the boarder of an EU country

that an airline was responsible etc. I am still looking for an explanation but am met with 'Impossible'

our systems are such that charges are clearly determined by location. 

Another interesting phenomenon was that I topped up with £20 when I discovered that I had a zero

balance, received a message that £1.99 would be taken from mt account which was good for the day

turned off my mobile and when I turned it on again was told I had no money. I had not used the phone in the meantime.

As I am leaving for France shortly for two months and dont want the same thing to happen I have put my SIM in an old type phone ie not smart so can only be used for call. I will then use my NEXUS and iPad for WIFI to read my emails.

Could you please tell me if anyone else has experienced this problem or how it could have happened. I've been with o2 for 15 years and going to the same place in France and its never occured before.

Thanks for your time

Peter

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry a bit ignorant as I said it was solved meaning that I appreciated the advice I was given. What seems strange is that I did not get the usual welcome to message. When you say was I logged into o2, I dont change any settings when I go abroad. Just wish there was an explanation as to how o2 could think I was outside the EU

Message 11 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did try to use the Free wifi at Bournemouth Air port but could not get a connection for some reason. Other than that I did not turn my phone on until I got to a cafe that Ive used many times before to use their WiFi. And then only for a moment as they had changed their password. I then went on to use my iPad to do whatever, not my phone which I rarely use anyhow, home or abroad.

Message 12 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Stupid is me! How do I do that!
Message 13 of 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149077 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28464 Solutions
From what you have said it really shouldn't be anything other than O2 travel rates.
Something strange has happened and in all honesty non of us customers here are in a position to help you any further, I don't think.
It's no help but just hope it doesn't happen again 😞
Obviously you can contact CS again if it does but I advise you try and keep a note of any networks your phone connects to as they might help in troubleshooting the issue, should it happen again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 14 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let's hope is an anomaly and does not re occur.

You're very welcome for the advice as we are all here to help and learn.
Message 15 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, I am in the process of cancelling my 30day sim only contract - I have been charged from Norway whilst travelling from Dover to Germany via France/Belgium and Holland. I am absolutely outraged. On top of this, the phone was on stand-by in my bag. Customer Services treated me like an idiot, saying I did not understand how mobile networks work. Fact is, there should be no browsing/download chages when phone is in stand-by. We are being charged for outside EU network pings over which we do not have any control - no wonder O2 is making millions (nothing to do with good product nor good service) Network coverage is poor,  and customer service is ....well I do not want to be rude.

Message 16 of 23

MI5
  • 149077 Posts
  • 640 Topics
  • 28464 Solutions
As I'm sure you know, your phone will automatically seek out a signal, where ever that may be from. If you set to manual or turn off data when on the Ferry you would have avoided this.
We always pass on that advice to anyone who comes on here to check first.
The same will happen no matter what network you are on so be aware for next time and good luck with O2 - Keep trying and you might get a goodwill gesture from them although they have no obligation to do so.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 17 of 23

jonsie
  • 93928 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

Phones will always use data in the backgroung whether in standby or not. You have to turn off mobile data if you don't want to incur charges. The phone always picks up the strongest network signal so best option if you want to use data is to manually select the network especially when near country borders.

Message 18 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 125794 Posts
  • 829 Topics
  • 7549 Solutions

Getting so many of these posts with people on ferries unaware of roaming charges. My neighbour is with EE and is in dispute with them about the same thing....

However it is clearly stated in her T&C's :smileysad:.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 23

jonsie
  • 93928 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7017 Solutions

Ferry charges are outrageous and there is unfortunately no warnings onboard. You may if lucky get a network text telling you who you are connected to.

Message 20 of 23