cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do I get 3G in Europe when I have and pay for 4G in the UK?

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

darrengf
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 2080 Posts
  • 60 Topics
  • 48 Solutions

I can advise the following

O2

have no roaming 4G agreements. Data is limited at 0.30Mbps still. Complaints on Twitter about it.

you can not use you O2 data only account abroad at all.

Three

Have no 4G roaming agreements and use 3G speeds when allowed.  Data Management is on for when your abroad and you can't tether.

you can only use 12Gb max in any given billing month.

Data only account can be used

EE and BT

have no restrictions on speeds and have 4G roaming, but have a capacity in place on 15Gb in any billing period.  BT is the same.

Vodafone

Thisnnetwork is the best for roaming.  The have no restrictions at all in place what so ever.  No data management or anything,  they have the most 4G roaming networks and also have no data restrictions.

if you tariff comes with 60Gb Data, then this is what you can use abroad in EU.  Turkey is also included with Vodafone.

Data only account can also be used and same as per above.  No restrictions, mill, nada, zilch.  Not even traffic management.

As you can see, Vodafone are really going for it as per there Web. There shouting about it and it's all over the media and bill boards etc

IMG_0272.PNG

Im not in any way promoting Vodafone or any of the networks.  It's just facts that are on the internet for any one to find.

just to make you aware,  this info re Vodafone pic was correct as April I believe.

Three now has 60 countries, Vodafone you get free roaming in 50 Countries but you can take you allowance with you and pay £5 per day and use it in 60 more countries.  Very sim to o2 travel

Need Help, Just ask. We are one big Family here in the o2 Forum.
Use iPhone XS Max dual sim, SE, Honor 10, IPad Pro 11, Apple Watch 4 LTE, 100+ Mpbs Barrier and a Record Player.

Message 21 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

I personallly think it's a disgrace that o2 don't have any roaming agreements for 4G. Yet another reason for me to move away!

Message 22 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting responses.  My experience this summer post June 15th roaming date is that friends from Norway were getting O2 4g across Europe when I was getting O2 Edge!  Surely O2 is part of Telephonica which has phone companies covering all of Europe so it appears to me that the 4g agreements argument is being used by O2 as a smokescreen.  You would think they could have internal company agreements quite easily.

Message 23 of 33

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Bullerd
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

O2 are pathetic and stuck in the dark ages. Move network as soon as you can.  3-5 years after other networks offered 4G roaming, O2 still only offer 3G roaming at glacial speeds.  You can't even get 4G roaming when on other Telefonica networks.  The O2 executive team clearly are incompetent and lack any vision or care about their customer base.  Compare with EE for example and their vision (and acheivement) for coverage, O2 is a joke.

Message 25 of 33

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

They are starting to roll out 4G to other countries but as with most things O2 do these days they are trailing badly compared to the other networks. 

Message 26 of 33

Bullerd
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

OMG, 5 years later and o2 have finally joined the 21st century. Well, in one country at least!  4G roaming in Germany on my phone and data card!  Well done o2!  Although that's a bit like celebrating the launch of morse code when everybody else is using fibre broadband, but still...!  I can't believe it took this long for one 4G roaming agreement, and even that is within the same company (Telfoncia)!  O2 you are just so useless.   Now you just have 119 more countries to go until you catch up with Vodafone 4G roaming.  We'll be on 6G before you get round to that!

Message 27 of 33

jonsie
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bullerd wrote:

OMG, 5 years later and o2 have finally joined the 21st century. Well, in one country at least!  4G roaming in Germany on my phone and data card!  Well done o2!  Although that's a bit like celebrating the launch of morse code when everybody else is using fibre broadband, but still...!  I can't believe it took this long for one 4G roaming agreement, and even that is within the same company (Telfoncia)!  O2 you are just so useless.   Now you just have 119 more countries to go until you catch up with Vodafone 4G roaming.  We'll be on 6G before you get round to that!

"Celebrating the launch of morse code etc" Well that made me laugh...LOL

Yes a long way to go yet... so totally agree @Bullerd

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 33

Bullerd
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
The miracle continues! 4G roaming now in France, USA and Canada. I'm sure there are more too but I don't know the exact list. It only seems to be on one carrier in each though so you might need to manually select network.
Someone also posted a longer list here https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/o2-have-expanded-4g-roaming-even-more-countries-andrew-platt. Nice of O2 to tell their customers though!
Message 30 of 33