cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do I get 3G in Europe when I have and pay for 4G in the UK?

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
It seems O2 are doing the bare minimum to comply with new legislation, I honestly didn't expect data speeds to increase from the abysmal speeds we got before the 15th.
Message 11 of 33

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I posted because it is today, and I'm in Spain, and it's still 3G, and it is still particularly slow 3G. Slower than the slowest 3G that I've ever experienced even in the UK many years ago. 

So, is O2 bending the new rules?

No one really knows how it will work yet.

You are the first person to report on anything today.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sadly I don't have your patience and I clearly have higher expectations of O2.

What I am experiencing today is not an 'undiminished' service whilst roaming. It's significantly worse than I get in the UK and I would describe that as 'O2 are bending the rules'.

I'd be most grateful for any specific info on steps that O2 are taking to address this.

Otherwise, I need to better my position by looking at other networks.

Once again, anyone have any info on the network that offers the best 4G roaming whilst in the major European countries?
Message 13 of 33

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
As I've already said, EE.
As far as any specific info on what O2 are doing, you'll need to ask O2 directly, we are just customers like yourself.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can google the info about networks but o2 will not discuss what steps they are taking unless its already been announced 

Message 15 of 33

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the replies so far.  

My ire is not directed at you guys but I was optimistically expecting an improvement in O2 service today. And I'm frustrated, and slightly despondent that there is no change.

At at some point the existence of downgraded service (4G to 3G) and throttling whilst roaming, will be publicised.  Then, the networks will not be able to hide behind small print in their contracts which go against the public understanding of an agreement with customers, and the spirit of EU law. 

Message 16 of 33

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It's already becoming common knowledge that o2 is not the network to be with for roaming data use so we can only hope that this may now have a big enough impact on their business for them to do something about it.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 33

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

There was an article on BBC Business yesterday. It appeared that EE and Three gave the best deals of all the networks when roaming. I expect as that's only whats shown on paper...the proof will be when customers try and test it....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 33

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3006 Solutions

The big money spenders aka Enterprise customers are also pushing for 4G roaming agreements, in the EU and other major countries i.e the US, HK, Aus and Japan for a start...

Would be a start if their sister networks across the EU offered 4G roaming capability between themselves as well as the UK.

BT offer it across all their brands such as EE, BT Mobile and PlusNet Mobile.

Three outside the EU Only offer 3G trust me tested it in the US and its was dire even in the middle of New York, and Las Vegas

Not sure about Voda

Just think though this could all be reversed in 2 years time at the departure from the EU slight_smile

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 20 of 33