cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it mandatory in the O2 Community to have the PM function turned on?   The "Guidelines" are silent on the matter.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey guys,

Good to get your views on the PM notification content. If you all think it would be good to see the message content in the PM too without first logging in, I don't see why not. slight_smile We'll check this out soon and come back to you about possible changes!

Message 21 of 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

This would be a great idea. I get emails and it's sometimes not possible to log in to the community to check the content.

Message 22 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
+1
Message 23 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

This would be a great idea. I get emails and it's sometimes not possible to log in to the community to check the content.

I agree @Marjo  Content of PM's should be displayed in email notifications.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course it could be argued that the use of PM's causes many issues and breeds discontent amongst members.

Indeed I have been accused recently (totally incorrectly I might add) of using the PM system to turn some members against another.

Should the PM system be kept or should everything be in the open?
Message 25 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Despite possible misuse of the PM system.... it still holds value for many of us.

I often use it to check on friends I haven't seen around for some time.It allows us to post openly to each other about issues that aren't for public reading (possibly health related)

Also... if I need help and advice which doesn't warrant a new thread being started I will use the PM system for that.

I certainly wouldn't want things I post in PM's shown openly in the forum. It isn't a chat room. 

We have two designated (approved) areas for chatting.....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 26 of 36

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Despite possible misuse of the PM system.... it still holds value for many of us.

Definitely,

Without it, it would be AM all day every day, some countries haven't adopted the PM system and it's literally 24hr daylight, then they realise they need to change it manually and it's then PM for 24hrs and dark all the time.

I certainly hope we keep the AM/PM system as my body clock is shot to bits and need to know when 12 and 00 comes I'm safe that something has set it to AM or PM for me.

Message 27 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

Definitely,

Without it, it would be AM all day every day, some countries haven't adopted the PM system and it's literally 24hr daylight, then they realise they need to change it manually and it's then PM for 24hrs and dark all the time.

I certainly hope we keep the AM/PM system as my body clock is shot to bits and need to know when 12 and 00 comes I'm safe that something has set it to AM or PM for me.

LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 28 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another avenue to consider would be the use of Private Messaging from a Community Forum member to Site Admin and visa versa only.
Message 29 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

I can't understand why this discussion has turned into something about what should go into PM's? (As opposed to posting openly) . Others seem to be inferring PM's should only be between site management and members...Smiley Surprised

I thought we lived in a democracy?

We have a choice surely?. If you don't like the content of a PM  then forward it to management and hope they take appropriate action.....and utilise the ignore 'button'

To take away the PM function smacks of a dictatorship community to me....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 36