Open discussion: Community Rewards

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi all,

How’s your week going?

So we’ve had the Community Rewards now since August 2013 to say thank you to all of you who help each other out, drive discussion and produce great content and engagement on our community. Very happy to see both old and new members on the rewards list – see here the Rewards thread from January. Cat Very Happy

We’d like to hear your views on the Rewards to check whether we could make any enhancements now that this programme has been in use for a while. I know some of you have mentioned that an option for giving your reward to charity would be welcomed – definitely something we have been thinking about for a while now based on your comments so far and continue looking into – interesting ideas already going on in the January thread I linked above.

Any interest in e.g. having the community rewards working towards acquiring a new mobile device or perhaps linked with services such as Priority Moments? What do you think about the current levels – Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze?

What about any other ideas or suggestions?

Looking forward to the discussion! Popcorn

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

My opinion of the community rewards is, yes if a small amount of posters/members are getting the rewards month after month, then yes it may be seen be some in a cynical light as, they are getting their phone bill paid in full and then some. My answer to this is..If they have the time and knowledge to provide useful information etc, then what is wrong with them getting a token of appreciation in the way of a community reward.

Its been mentioned that the community rewards is based on a secret alogrythm, providing this is kept secret, then this reduces the risk of some members abusing the community rewards system.

With regards to donating to charities. Leave it up to the winner of the community reward to decide if he or she wants to donate. We all have charities that are more closer to the heart than others. So again, let the winner decide if and which charity they want to donate to.

If it were left for the community admins (Toby, Marina etc) to decide which of the charities were going to get a particular reward/s that particular month, then, this may not be a charity that a community reward winner would wish to donate to (they might have a charity that is close to their hearts due to a loved one suffering from that particular illness). Setting up a choice of charities to receive a reward/s, is just going to complicate matters.

What is as simple as leaving it up to the reward winner to decide if they want to donate their reward to charity.

Message 11 of 36

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Here's my opinion:
Awards are pointless as it's the members receiving them every month and I think they are primarily the members who don't agree with the reward system anyway.
Also, I think a new reward should be introduced for a new member to be rewarded every month.
Message 12 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

What can I say? I like them.

I have been lucky enough to receive a reward for the past few months. I have no idea why that is... but if the 'secret algorithm' thinks I deserve one....then it can stay secret.. wink

By posting on here daily I have learnt a hell of a lot. If the community wishes to reward me for that, then I wont complain.

I wont stop posting if the reward system disappears though

I am not sure if other forums reward their members but if it gives encouragement to new members to join then I can't see that as a bad thing personally. It can act as an incentive

If it came to a vote to keep the rewards or get rid of them, I would vote to keep them

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145053 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions
I would also vote to keep them and hope that it would encourage more new members who will share their knowledge.
I do, however, think that it needs to be made very clear that it's not about post count as you will just get people flooding the forum with rubbish.
On the subject of charity donations I make my own based on what rewards I get but I understand that isn't possible for those that don't have an O2 sim.
Their options are a PAYG sim card for the purpose of just collecting rewards or opting out unless there can be another way devised?
What about O2 collecting all the "unclaimed" rewards and then taking a vote every 6 months for a nominated charity on behalf of the O2 Community Forum Members.......?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 14 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Overall I agree with @MI5 in that the rewards should stay.

I TOTALLY agree that the message should be clear. Posting rubbish on here just to get your post count up should not reflect in the rewards system. These people know who they are.

There are several on here, which may include me shortly, who are not with o2 and so their rewards are worthless in their current form. Perhaps they could have them saved up then every few months get a cheque or choose a charity.

The rewards should be for the technical advice that we give, the customer support, the help advice and guidance. Off topic crap should not be counted.

Would I leave if the rewards stopped? Unlikely although I may choose to leave if I change network.
Message 15 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

imho MI5 talks sense in his post above, with particular reference to the unclaimed rewards going to a community vote re: charity

keep the algorithm secret 

to me it is only fair rewards are given - personally I get a lot of help from various people, who share their knowledge & they do it in their spare time

I also like Gerry's idea of eg Joke of the Month etc

I have received a silver & a bronze reward since I joined the O2 community - & I'm grateful = it was like I'd been given a silver & a bronze medal slight_smile I put the money to a charity of my choice

Message 16 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also agree keep the algorithm secret.

I would also go one step further and state that those who keep posting constant rubbish threads on here turning this Community into a laughing stock should not receive rewards.

Tech support yes, keep and promote the rewards. We are all learning on here and the more we do the more we learn.

The Community at its best is a fab place to be.

Message 17 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I also agree keep the algorithm secret.

I would also go one step further and state that those who keep posting Rowant rubbish threads on here turning this Community into a laughing stock should not receive rewards.

Tech support yes, keep and promote the rewards. We are all learning on here and the more we do the more we learn.

The Community at its best is a fab place to be.

Not sure what "Rowant rubbish" is to be honest  @Anonymous  Smiley Very Happy   but one of the reasons why I "opted out" of the Rewards system was because it was very clear to me that that was how most of my contributions were regarded by some.  I cannot disagree with their assessment mind you, but I definitely won't accept rewards for it. 

Message 18 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Flippin Samsung swipe text. Rowant should read constant
Message 19 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Flippin Samsung swipe text. Rowant should read constant

LOL  ah, Swype  - 'tis great when it works, sir!   But has caused me a red face or two!!  Nevertheless, thanks for explaining.

Message 20 of 36