cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 and iemi bar nightmare

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I have been trying to get O2 to remove a imei bar from my Nokia 5800. It all started in May 2010. Basically I used a work sim card in my own personal phone (a phone that I purchased brand new only 6 months before).
Anyway, I left the company in May 2010 and asked my boss if he would like me to send the company O2 sim card back (office in Chelmsford and I'm in Andover). He said no he could just bar the outgoing and incoming calls. When I tried to put my simplicity sim card into my phone it keep coming up with 'sim registration failed'. When I contacted O2 they advised that my phone had been barred. They tried to put me throught to busuiness as they were the ones who barred it. They kept asking to pass security for the business number (as this was the number it had been barred with). obviously I could not pass the security as I was now an ex-employee, and even if I had still been an employee I would not pass security checks as I don't have access. Anyway they have refused to remove this bar. My old boss has even requested the bar to be removed. I have written in to complain. No responce. Have phoned them around 100 times but getting nowhere. Thought I was finally getting somewhere last week, the female seemed really helpful and knew what she was talking about. Told me it was no problem and acknowledged that O2 had made a mistake. Actuall confessed that it was a mistake. She filled in the forms to request the phone to be un-barred. It will be done in 72 hours she explained, she even put a £10 credit on my account for the hassle. GREAT!!! I thought, job done. NO how wrong could I be. 72 hours came and went. Still no phone working.
Has anybody got any ideas how I can get this sorted?
Have looked at the legal route but was advised it can be quite expensive. I was told I will get the money back, as O2 have already admitted it was a mistake.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think its entirely O2's fault. Your boss shouldn't have blocked the IMEI in the first place. (you shouldn't really have been using the SIM in your personal phone)
What should happen is that the person at your old company who deals with the account should phone their service provider, pass security and request the block is removed.
If you want to complain, then you'll have to write to the O2 Complaint Review Service. But you're not the account holder and its going to be difficult to prove the handset is your property. You really need to get the company to sort this.
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
My old boss has rang the company (6 times in total). I was present for one of the conversations, and I recorded it. He clearly stated that he would like the bar removed, and he passed security.
Why can't I use my personal mobile with my work sim card? nothing wrong in that is there?
Also, my old boss told me that he did not request the actual phone to be barred. He states that he requested just the sim card to be barred.
I have spoken with a solicitor again today. I can use my house insurance legal policy to pay for my claim. He said I have O2 banged to rights as I have 2 recorded telephone calls, one in which they state they have made a mistake, and the other with my old boss.
So hopefully, when I get the call back from the insurance company, I can start the legal route.
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Forgot to mention, I have already written to the so called review service. They are completely useless. Never even had a response to my recorded delivery letters. (4 in total).
To prove that the handset is mine I have sent copies of the receipt from the store I purchased it from. I have also spoken to the manager of the store, who will confirm that I purchased the phone there.
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
That just proves you bought the handset, not what happened after that. You forget that the network have a record of it being used on someone else's account.
What reason did O2 give to the company for not unblocking the phone?
If you've been to the complaint review service and not been replied then you can take your complaint to the ombudsman. www.otelo.org.uk you will need details of any communications and copies of the recorded delivery. Its unlikely you will be able to use the recorded conversations, unless you notified the other party they were being recorded.
Did the solicitor really tell you that? Its unusual advice, to say the least.
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its unlikely you will be able to use the recorded conversations, unless you notified the other party they were being recorded.

Transcripts from recorded calls can be used even if the recorded party was not informed.
If it gets to court then magistrate/judge can request that the audio version is played within the courtroom to verify the transcript.
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
We've been talking about Otelo , not court.
As you mention it, as far as I know, in court, recordings can be used as long as they were obtained lawfully. Its not lawful to record someone without their permission. Perhaps, a legal person can clarify.
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
We've been talking about Otelo , not court.
As you mention it, as far as I know, in court, recordings can be used as long as they were obtained lawfully. Its not lawful to record someone without their permission. Perhaps, a legal person can clarify.

It makes no difference, Otelo, court, local pub. If you allow a third party to hear a recorded conversation without notifying the recorded person then that is illegal, but actually recording that conversation, for your own use only without notification, is not illegal.
Making a transcript and showing a third party the written conversation is not illegal.
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
okeedokee, can you PM me your mobile number please, so I can have a look at what's going on here?
Thanks
Chris
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it's an interesting debate over the use/making of recorded phone conversations. I think we should continue it elsewhere as we have inadvertently taken over the OP's thread. For which I am sorry.
If the complaints process has been exhausted then I would certainly seek advice from Otelo, they are a mine of useful information.
Message 10 of 11