cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Are Charging £90 more for the iPhone 6 Plus 128GB than Apple Do

Anonymous
Not applicable
So it appears Apple are claiming in all of their deals that the Apple iphone 6 plus handset costs £879. In fact Apple charge £789 for this handset. O2 are therefore claiming £90 more. I have spoken to an agent online ( I have a screen shot) and they told me I was incorrect and that O2 match Apples prices. Having directed them to Apples website they admitted I was correct. Even the agent didn't realize O2 charge more for this. Has anyone else notices O2 are ripping off their customers? They can package it up as we have the best network of something similar but they should add the price on elsewhere not claim the handset is £879 when this isn't true.

Having been a customer of O2 for 8 years I am disgusted they would rip of their customers so blatantly. It's shocking. Maybe I am the only one who has noticed this or cares?
Message 1 of 53
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Others have remarked on this on the many presale threads. You can very often get cheaper deals from the manufacturers as opposed to the networks and better still from the independents. In most cases though you have to offset that as paying off the handset over the two year contract. It suits some people but not others .

Ultimately the choice is yours where to get the handset from.

Message 3 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable
Handset prices on the Refresh Tariff can be more expensive then buying it sim free on certain handsets.

It's a matter of disposable income.

It can be cheaper buying it sim free from Apple.
Message 2 of 53

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Others have remarked on this on the many presale threads. You can very often get cheaper deals from the manufacturers as opposed to the networks and better still from the independents. In most cases though you have to offset that as paying off the handset over the two year contract. It suits some people but not others .

Ultimately the choice is yours where to get the handset from.

Message 3 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys. This isn't on the refresh. This is outright. It is concerning that even the agents believed O2 were giving the best prices and always match Apple. The agent was proven wrong and didn't even know what to say. So O2s agents were even under the impression O2 wouldn't rip off their customers by charging more for the handset. Shocking.
Message 5 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Where are you buying it sim free ?

O2 have not released it on payg.
Message 6 of 53

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

I agree, no one should charge more than the manufacturers. Such is the desire and need for this handset, people tend to look at the affordable monthly cost and it seems O2 are profiteering getting the most possible profit per unit.

Message 7 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thankfully I am fortunate enough to buy it sim free. However was happy to enter a contract with O2 as I've been with them for 8 years. The price O2 show of £879 that I refer to is if you choose a contract package they state how it is broken down. They claim £879 is for the handset. Therefore claiming they charge £90 more for the handset over Apple themselves. Again something their agent didn't even believe O2 would do. I have a screenshot of them saying so.
Message 8 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it's typical.

Happened in previous years on iPhones.

As most get caught up in wanting the newest handset they don't do the actual maths.

A reason why I buy mine sim free from Apple.

Many don't have the lump sum or don't want to pay upfront but find it easier to pay in instalments. One downfall of doing so is the issue you have come across. 😞
Message 9 of 53

jonsie
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

As I said earlier, people are spreading the cost of the phone over two years so commodoties tend to cost more doing it this way. This goes for most handsets taken on a refresh contract not just the iphone.

Message 10 of 53