Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOT a smartphone so what else

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

For highly personal reasons Ive rejected  a smartphone (dont askCrazy). I realise this is really a phone site BUT

I'd like access ebooks, email, a few apps ,music practice  but not films or games. Would a tablet be easier and more versatile to learn to take on hols and use outside of the home

or

I do have an old DORO smartphone which I could use with a pay as you go card NOT for phone but for internet and app use when needed -

Any helpful commments or am Im on the wrong track.

PS the smartphone i rejected is the only one possible for me. It was over 200.00  but the price wasnt the reason

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Can't find a reference to the Which guide but these books are good https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Tablets-Dummies-Dan-Gookin/dp/1119126029/ref=pd_sbs_14_t_1?_encodin...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 19

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
It's really just like a big phone.

I think those were the words you said to me at the time @MI5 Smiley Very Happy

Yes, if you can use a smartphone you shouldn't have any trouble with a tablet.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 12 of 19

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Ive got the tablet , now I have to sort some temporary SIM data for holiday - nothing fixed til Im sure how Im using it.

Im getting my head round the tablet. My son said '' a less powerful laptop'' which helped. Its the downloading of stuff so i can use it when out of reach of wifi,     books , simple games or jigsaws  and do i need google and google store   and all that jazz. Books are sorted. So wot word games ,jiggies,  puzzles  can  i load from where annd how ? thats sort of satirical question

Message 13 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Jenny105 Google play is essential for an Android tablet in my opinion. You can install all sorts of free apps from there. Also only download apps when you are using Wifi....if not ..you will find you use a lot of data wink

A link to Google Play here https://play.google.com/store?hl=en_GB

Just put in a search for word games and puzzles once it's installed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 19

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
You need Google Play Store to download any apps, but no other Google apps are compulsory, however, you will find may are part of the firmware which cannot be deleted.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 19

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thanks I will probably have to do this ,

BUT morally I dont support Google because of the issues around their tax payments in the UK. People get worked up about issues of migration but not Google and Amazon and Starbucks which probably cost us far more than either of those.

Message 16 of 19

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
hi folks the tablet worked indoors but I llost some dosh on a sim sold to me by a 02 trainee. It never fitted and has now run over its sell by date.
However I'm now trying a test on a Smartphone. Friends and family have said they will assist initially with the set up of the Smart bits.
Message 17 of 19

Jenny105
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Thanks!

Thanks to M15, Cleoriff  and others who lent support . 

I'll leave tablet buying to a mainstream store next time.

Boots???

Message 18 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Jenny105 wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks to M15, Cleoriff  and others who lent support . 

I'll leave tablet buying to a mainstream store next time.

Boots???

Love it @Jenny105 LOL

By the way, never give up. You will soon astound people when you are able to advise them about technical stuff they have never heard of...:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 19