In my circle of friends I am quite well know for being able to haggle some good deals regarding phone contracts. I’m terrible at haggling new cars, which my other friend is great at, but I need new deals every 12 months so I would like my ability. I was wondering if there was a guide to upgrading already available on the site for anyone who was looking? I can’t find out via search.
If not I’m happy to put one together but it would be great if we all would contribute some tips? Here are some of mine, be it obvious ones.
- wait until the last month of your contract for better offered.
- research other offers to use as a comparison and have links ready to send to prove. (BIG POINT)
- be reasonable and don’t expect the latest iPhone for free upfront and £10pm!
- know the company you are asking. EG, O2 will usually give you months of free airtime (in my experience). EE usually just say “we are the fastest so we don’t do a deal”
- You can usually get deals on older Apple products, not new ones. If you don’t mind having an older product some places usually have a lot more wiggle room around May- August on current gen iPhones as the new ones are being released in September. Just be careful not to pay to much or else you may as well waited for the new ones in September.
- the retentions line is always the best place to get much better deals, get through to them!
- be nice to the person on the retentions line, they are human too!!!
- If no other deal can be done with O2 don’t be afraid to ask for a few months free airtime on refresh deals.
Is this what you are thinking of, @L_W_Ward?
As this is an O2 forum, it tends to focus on O2 offerings - but sometimes cheaper deals can be found through Mobile Phones Direct or similar - but without the O2 Refresh aspect.
For those who wish to stay on O2 network, but get PAYG that is not O2's current Big Bundle offering (i.e. closer to what was called Classic Pay As You Go), then perhaps Tesco Mobile or GiffGaff is what they need.
Not sure exactly what you hope to add to what is already available on the Forum...?
Track usage, upgrade and get support with the My O2 appDownload My O2