cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Play Music Madness

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's hard to know where to start with this ridiculous service so I'll posit a series of questions.

Why can you only upload your own music from a non-android device? 

You can upload using Music Manager or the Chrome/Chromium on Windows, Mac, Linux, Ubuntu, Debian but not Android,,,.

Why can't you play your own uploaded music on an official standalone Windows Mac ect Desktop Google Play Music App?

You have to use the Chrome/ium extension or an semi-official player.

Why can't you play your own music on Chrome for Android?

You have to use the Google Play Music App and be forced to signed in across the device.**

Why can you only play your own music on a Standalone Mobile App with an App Password, if it's not on Android ?

gPlayer for Wiindows 10 Mobile for example.

Why can't you merge/migrate your uploded librarys across more than one Google account?

Why cant you access your own music, to organise and ensure the cover art is correct in any meaningful or systemic way?

There are some renderers on Android like Bubble UpnP that can act as interfaces but you still have to have Google Play Music installed and signed in.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Interesting questions about Google Play music! 

Is there anyone here using this service? What do you guys think?

I haven't used it myself, but I'd love to see what others on the Community think about this slight_smile

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 2 of 6

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

It took me about 30 mins to realise how unbelievably bad playing a simple track on Android was so never bothered with it and that was about 5 years ago. Same goes for iPhone which is just as annoying with the added pain of having to use iTunes. Hence I ended up buying a Sony Walkman which does exactly what I want. 

I honestly don't know what these designers are thinking but its an absolute retrograde of about 50 years in understanding the simplicity of playing music instead of jumping though hoops just to press play. I've given up on the fast forward and reverse functions as they don't work on any device like they should. 

Don't get me started on calculator apps rage

Sheepdog in 'old music tech is way better' mode

Message 3 of 6

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I'm strictly an Amazon Music downloads person. Don't use their streaming service even though I'm a Prime member. I've a better use for my data 😉
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

I worked out that I have 9 months worth of my own music uploaded to Google + a fair chunk in Amazon and on other cloud services. This means I could listen 24/7 for the best part of a year and not hear the same song twice... I'm not at all sure this is a good thing.

Message 5 of 6

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 36072 Posts
  • 229 Topics
  • 1604 Solutions

YouTube's my non-radio source of music, either on my phone or on my windoze laptop - simple to use and the same lists can be accessed on either platform (app on Android, browser on laptop).  And it has occasionally offered me a "similar" track that has exposed my ears to a new genre or artist... 

As the last music library I had was on cassette tapes, I've never tried to figure out how to get them uploaded onto a web-sharing service, and YouTube would probably reject most of them anyway.

Message 6 of 6