cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going abroad, how to stop calls reaching my mobile?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Whats the best way to do this? I'm on a 12month simplicity. Is it simply a case of me cancelling each call, or if I set up a call redirect to my voicemail will they go direct there without going via my phone?
Thanks.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just out of interest (and apologies for hijacking the thread), will be going abroad in EU in next few weeks for 8 days. If I need to call O2, is it a free call? And which number do I call?!?
Also, can't see any data bolt-ons listed apart from the EU cap (£3.07/MB up to £40, then use up to 50MB in total at no extra cost).
Used the £5 Spain option for calls last year but my usage meant I only saved 2p by having it. As it'll be £10 this time I think I'll leave it, and I've got 4:1 texts anyway slight_smile
Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
To call O2 from abroad you call +44 844 809 0200, it's free from a pay monthly phone, 35p from payg, from any country.
There is no data bolt on, only the £40, 50mb cap. The old data bolt on was £50 for 50 mb anyway.
Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
You are right, I can confirm this from my own regular experience. If you set up all calls divert (*21*number#), then the calls are diverted on the network level and it is irrelevant where you are, even when the phone is switched on. There will be no cost to you when people leave the messages.

I normally just turn off voicemail, but this sounds intriguing. If I change my voicemail greeting to tell the caller to phone an alternative number (or text me), then diverting all calls should mean I can still receive texts ok?
I'm getting a local sim (cheap roaming) so was thinking of putting my sim in an old phone for the duration so I can still receive texts. So the only charges would be any texts/calls I initiate whilst abroad.
Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just out of interest (and apologies for hijacking the thread), will be going abroad in EU in next few weeks for 8 days. If I need to call O2, is it a free call? And which number do I call?!?
Also, can't see any data bolt-ons listed apart from the EU cap (£3.07/MB up to £40, then use up to 50MB in total at no extra cost).
Used the £5 Spain option for calls last year but my usage meant I only saved 2p by having it. As it'll be £10 this time I think I'll leave it, and I've got 4:1 texts anyway slight_smile

Just as an update to this thread, I left O2 before I went and my new provider gave me 5MB free per day to use. Which I did. And saved loads on roaming calls.
Spent £12 in total for 8 days calls, texts and data. Worked out that would have cost me £40 in data alone with O2. Total saving was about £85. Result.
Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I knew about these voicemail charges when I took out my contract but as I'm out of the country 3 or 4 times a month I usually forget to turn voicemail off. The charges have been annoying but minimal.

That was until last month. I was charged £13 extra on top of my £35/month because someone kept trying to call me, getting through to voicemail but not leaving a message. I called customer service, explained I find this practice morally bankrupt and unless they remove the charges I will switch to another network.

To my amazement they refused - and this week will lose a customer who paid them £400plus/year for the last 5yrs.

Goodbye O2 - with policies like these I'm afraid you will not be missed!

Message 15 of 16

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Goodbye O2 - with policies like these I'm afraid you will not be missed!

Someone kept phoning you and you left your voicemail on and got charged for it and knew that you would.

Now you're leaving O2, I guess there's some logic there somewhere! Smiley Indifferent

Hopefully you'll find a network that will allow for your mistakes.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 16 of 16