cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charge changes while working abroad (outside UK)

Abroad-and-out
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I've had my number and been with O2 for a long time, in 2020 I moved to China for work. I took my mobile because there are uses, such as UK mobile banking apps or receiving OTP codes for payment, and also 'blocked' apps such as Whatsapp and certain security verification apps that I need for work.

I've obviously kept roaming off because all of the above can be achieved via Wi-fi.

Recently my colleague (also a O2 customer) came back from the UK and told me he had to keep his phone off when landing in China because he was told even a connection with the local provider will incur a £5 a day charge. This sounds like a completely new thing to me because it's never been an issue keeping my phone on and not using any data.

So, is this true? Is there a new roaming charge? How does that affect anyone who happens to live and work abroad and need to keep their phones but without using roaming? Am I charged for receiving verification texts??

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions
Message 2 of 3

Abroad-and-out
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you Jonsie,

What you have said is what I am expecting, however, from what I heard off a colleague, apparently the detection and connection to another mobile provider (example CHINA MOBILE) will incur a cost as it is 'considered roaming'. This is confusing because there is an option on my Samsung to keep the roaming OFF, but anywhere you go with the phone on, it will automatically detect the local provider.

I'm scared it will incur extra charges in the coming month!

Message 3 of 3