Did you mean: 

Phone stolen in South Africa

Helppleaseabroa
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi Guys

We got mugged yesterday afternoon near Cape Town. My wife's 02 phone was stolen. Using my 02 phone I've tried calling a phone number suggested on the website for reporting phones stolen abroad

+44 7860 980202

And also tried these UK numbers

+448000321402

The first number keeps getting to the part where they say they will transfer you to a person and then going quiet and 15 mins later cutting off. The others not even getting that far. 

The website and help page say that you can report stolen phones 24 hrs a day 7 days a week but it actually doesn't seem possible?

Just keep getting led back to a virtual q and a that provides the phone numbers to call as above. No link to a page where we can  just login and report a stolen phone etc?

Just tried the mobile stolen phones abroad 24/7 number and that's now saying it's closed?

We've also attempted to try and put a bar on the number by going to My02 and logging in also suggested on website but once there can't see any options to put a bar on the phone or report the phone stole¦

Very frustrating and worrying having no easy or fast  way (it appears) to report the phone  stolen without trying to ring numbers that either aren't working from here or aren't even open

And everywhere saying we have to report within 24 hrs to minimise our potential risk etc and we can do this 24/7?

Can anyone help or advise us?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 146064 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28105 Solutions

@Helppleaseabroa 

All we can offer by way of help:

Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12227 Posts
  • 95 Topics
  • 1136 Solutions

Another problem reporting a stolen phone @Dave-O2 . Did you get an answer on the other thread about this?

(Link to other thread https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Access-For-All/my-husbands-phone-was-stolen/m-p/1687498#M8045 )

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 10

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 771 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

Thanks for the tag @gmarkj 

@Helppleaseabroa I'm sorry to hear of the recent experience you've had and that your phone was stolen. Are you currently able to gain access to your My O2 account and see if you can bar your account/SIM following the below steps ↘️

Login via email OTAC confirmation ➡️ My O2 ➡️ Bars and Diverts.

To restrict your device you will need to contact customer services within opening hours on either 202, 03448090202 or +447860980202 if you're outside the UK. You can also contact us via Webchat to get restrictions added.

You can find more help and advice ➡️ Lost or stolen device | Help & Support | O2

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 93262 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23403 Posts
  • 1032 Topics
  • 3726 Solutions

@Dave-O2 Why has the facility to report a phone lost or stolen been reduced to O2 opening hours only? Who is liable for charges made on an account if the phone is lost or stolen outside those hours? 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 10

Dave-O2
Community Manager
Community Manager
  • 771 Posts
  • 53 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

Hey @Bambino 

This has been reduced due to the on going migration of customers over to 360, who are able to restrict their account/SIM via My O2.

Any unauthorised charges on an account that are made within 24 hours of any loss, will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

Message 7 of 10

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23403 Posts
  • 1032 Topics
  • 3726 Solutions

@Dave-O2 And how are customers supposed to know that? Is that information in any guide or posted on the O2 site anywhere? Yet another penny pinching tactic by a mega rich company to make customers who are probably stressed because of the loss of their phone even more stressed and unhappy. Well done O2.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 123946 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7497 Solutions

I agree with all the above @Dave-O2.

Phones are usually stolen at night so this is a real backwards step.

I don't think O2 have any right to impose charges on customers if those same customers are unable to report their phone stolen 24/7.

@Helppleaseabroahas already stated he tried to bar his phone online and was unable to do so?

Not everyone is on the 360 billing system!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

pgn
Level 75: Digital Don
  • 37112 Posts
  • 238 Topics
  • 1687 Solutions

Excellent points, @Bambino - and hopefully this on the other thread can be implemented to start the process:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Access-For-All/my-husbands-phone-was-stolen/m-p/1690220/highlight/true...

Message 10 of 10