cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow 3g Edgware

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

For the last 3 months, I have been experiencing a very slow 3G service in Edgware HA8 town centre, Sometimes is ok for a minutes or 2 then it will just drop out with a android error saying it cant access the URL what is Gmail and it goes the same when i payed my water bill.

My partner experiences the same issues aswell as me, However she is on a virtual network and uses the same O2 mast.

Postcode HA8 (Town centre)

Cell ID 807553 (Used a Android app to get this info)

Also when im back home the 3g service is completely fine, Again using the androd app it tells me im using cell id 823381

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
Looking at the service status http://status.o2.co.uk/ you appear to be fully serviced with 4g so I would expect you would see a benefit if you upgraded to a 4g phone and tariff.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
It's a common problem of mast congestion on the 3g network.
Nothing you can do at the time but you may find it works fine when there are less people in town.
It's the same for me in my home town and has been for nearly 2 years - during busy shopping periods you can forget any kind of usable 3g connection.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 144977 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27815 Solutions
Looking at the service status http://status.o2.co.uk/ you appear to be fully serviced with 4g so I would expect you would see a benefit if you upgraded to a 4g phone and tariff.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately i only have a 3g / H+ compatible phone at the moment, It happens even at 8am in the morning when on the bus to work but i know myself is going to get less congestion as more phones are going 4G, Then 4G would have the same problem as 3G haha grin

Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have also noticed that 3g is getting slower, I have a theory that the networks are showing it down in order to push 4g. When I first bought my razr i back in 2013 Web pages would load almost instantly now I have to wait for almost 10 seconds in some cases
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
*slowing
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
3g works a bit like a motorway @Anonymous

There are only so many available contacts on the cell for 3g. Too much demand and it grinds to a halt a bit like if there are too many vehicles on the motorway.
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
4g works differently. It works a bit like fibre broadband in that there is much more capacity. Data then goes down the fibre backhaul (most likely BT or Virgin) and in to the interweb lol.

Congestion won't appear in the same way as 3g
Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
True, to much congestion will slow it down but the authorities can also slow the stream by restricting the flow of traffic (like closing lanes) this way when you buy your new 4G phone and upgrade your tariff to a more expensive one (which actually give less for more money) your amazed at how fast it is and you think your network has done a fantastic job
Message 9 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have a conspiracy theorist in our midst @Spud77.

I thought I was the only one here. Welcome
Message 10 of 12