cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell Streak 2.2 Froyo Update on O2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,
Please advise when the Android 2.2 (aka Froyo) release will be available for 02 customers
Thanks in anticapation
Message 1 of 164
163 REPLIES 163

Anonymous
Not applicable
And still we wait for o2 to give us a firm date. The mid december release date should of been any day now and still o2 cant give us anything solid to go in, well o2 as one of the first to have a streak I would be happy to have the vanilla Dell release, enough waiting, whats that o2? I'm tied into a contract so tough on me? Wont make that mistake again!
We pay for a service and o2 often dont deliver, maybe you didnt sell enough to care, well how many customers do you lose through your attitude to existing customers, not just streak owners but any handset?
End of this contract and I'm gone
Message 41 of 164

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe they didn't sell enough??
Of course they didn't, it's availability was restricted by only allowing PYG phones to be sold via the online shop. Any request for a streak was met with hardline why not buy an iPhlump4?
It was then withdrawn from the O2 shops and carphonewarehouse, it wasn't advertised.
Nobody wanted it to compete with the iPhlump.
Ergo: NO they didn't sell enough
However part of the sales pitch was that Froyo would be issued via an OTA update before the end of the year. We are getting perilously close to that point and no update has been announced. I for 1 will be returning my streak to the store it was bought from and demanding a full refund on the basis of breach of contract, if the OTA update is not forthcoming before year end.
I think the added screw up that was 2.1 would add to a potential claim for compensation.
Message 42 of 164

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have done this, o2 do not care, they say its not in breach, i then went on to say the market doesnt work because of it being on 1.6 after the phone being sent away and another weeks worth of arguments i phoned customer services where i argued with them for an hour or so resulting in them offeringvme a different phone, which i took. Im sad to have lost the streak it was great. But o2s lack of interest ruined the experience for me
Message 43 of 164

Anonymous
Not applicable
But o2s lack of interest ruined the experience for me

How so?
Dell are the ones that create and manage / maintain the software on the streak. Even the branded software is done by them.
Dell are due to start releasing the 2.2 Froyo update to the providers at sometime this month. Once the providers give it the green light, it'll be rolled out accross thier networks
Message 44 of 164

Anonymous
Not applicable
By the time we get the Froyo 2.2 update we will be lagging behind as there will already be a new OS! There are many aspects of the Dell Streak that I like but to be honest if I'd known that we would have to wait for so long to get an update that would bring the phone up to date and make it fully efficient I would have opted for another handset. There are many others out there in the market that have great OS's already and are fully functional with i-player and flash. I have heard that we might be waiting until January for Froyo? O2 are obviously not very keen to address there many unhappy customers posting on this forum and to be honest why would they as once you've signed contract like I have for 24 Months they've got you and know you can't leave until contract is up. So they can do what they want!
😞
Message 45 of 164

Anonymous
Not applicable
The lack of firm information is frustrating, but I think it's helpful to keep some perspective. The Streak running Android 2.1 is a great piece of kit and while I'm as eager as anyone else for Froyo, to claim the Streak running 2.1 is not fit for purpose seems like foolishness.
O2 says it's testing the Froyo release and it's deployment at the moment. I'd rather they spent a few weeks doing this than release a buggy product. Unfortunately, release dates are notoriously hard to estimate. This is especially true when more than one company is involved (in this case, O2 and Dell). If any bugs are found or changes in deployment needed, O2 will presumably have to rely on Dell to fix it. The delay is no fun for anyone, but it's best to consider the realities of the situation before getting too cross about it.
For those of you thinking of claiming breach of contract, I suspect you'll find the accusation very hard to make stick. It's not clear at all that O2 is contractually obliged to deploy Froyo before the end of the year despite what we were told when we bought the Streak. However, if you feel you have a genuine complaint, why not just speak to O2 customer support? If you make enough of a fuss, I wouldn't be too surprised if they offer you a different phone. Personally, I'm prepared to wait a couple more weeks.
I have a certain amount of sympathy with O2 on this matter, although I wish they would give us a candidate release date and trust us to understand if they didn't achieve it, providing they kept us informed throughout. Like many people, I'm annoyed and frustrated by the lack of communication and disappointed that O2 doesn't feel it should keep its customers better informed.
Message 46 of 164

Anonymous
Not applicable
D'ya know what, when did the people in this country become so uptight and impatient??!! I've had my Streak for a couple of months now and I knew when I bought it that it would be running 1.6 and it's still a great phone! I can (wait for it) make a phone call, browse the web, read my emails, watch TV, watch you tube, play games, use it as a turn by turn sat nav, 5 MP camera with video, and the list goes on, what more do ya want??!! I give it to my kids to watch you tube and I don't hear a peep out of them all night, priceless!
I downloaded my player and could watch bbc i-player (until I upgraded, which took off the BBC and gave me ITV, C4, More 4 etc??!!) and the picture quality is great. I know that if I spend a little time on the web that I can get i-player back, or I could wait a couple of weeks for 2.2 and it will be given to me.
Patience people, O2 are going to update our phones with a new OS with loads of new features for free, when was the last time Microsoft did that for your PC or PDA, er, never??!!
Message 47 of 164

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe some people are satisfied with 2.1, many more are not, o2 pulledthe 2.1 release and not just due to it being pre routed and insecure. And sorry I have no sympathy for o2, some decent communication would be nice. At this rate some of us will be a third of the way through our contract and still stuck with a glitchy out of date OS, meanwhile some o2 customers will be laughing with 3.0.
Dell must also take some blame for rushing to market, taking the money and then floundering around too bring us 2.2 close to the time 3.0 arrives, not really a great strategy. This doesnt put o2 in the clear, they need to be sure products they sell are fit for market before setting them loose on us suckers!
Message 48 of 164

Anonymous
Not applicable
FYI.
From Link: http://twitter.com/#!/stephenjatdell
News regarding O2c UK Dell Streak 2.2 update - it is looking as planned to have live on Wedsnesday 15 Dec OTA. Will keep all posted.
Message 49 of 164

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think it's a case of being 'satisfied' with 2.1. I expect we all want the update. I just can't see why not having the latest OS version makes the machine any worse than it was before the update came out.
By 'sympathy' for O2 I mean that I understand their position, not that I feel sorry for them when people complain. I think their policy of not giving candidate release dates or keeping customers informed is a little foolish and unhelpful. But they've only had the update from Dell for a few weeks. Testing takes time.
Some people seem more concerned about the version number of their OS being lower than someone else's than their phone doing what they want it to do. They claim the platform is unfit for market without ever explaining why.
Message 50 of 164