cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't unlock - code fails

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to unlock my phone.  I need to move to BT becuase their coverage is much better where I need it.

The MyO2 "manage your device" page give a 8-digit PUK number.  I tried this but it didn't work.

I clicked the "unlock my device" link and and 2 days later an email came with another 8-digit code.  This didn't work either.  

Every time I try, the phone displays "Network Unlock request unsuccessful", and prompts for the code again.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the code wrong?

I've forwarded the email to mycare@o2mail.co.uk, I'll see what they come back with.

Message 1 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144625 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27729 Solutions
Guru, lol tongue
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do the O2 staff actually read this forum?

Here is part of the transcript of the last live chat

ME: I entered the PUK several times thinking it was the unlock code
ME: Then I got the real unlock code from O2 and it fails
O2 GURU – : Be assured that PUK do not lock phone, it locks the SIM
O2 GURU – : Lee, have you inserted a Non O2 SIM in the phone ?
ME: yes - I have an activated BT SIM
ME: it asks for the code. i enter 32216366 and it says it was unsuccessful. it asks for the code again and again.
O2 GURU – : Have you checked that you are able to make calls and text from this SIM because unlocking will only complete if you put a working SIM ?
ME: it is a working SIM - I have tried it in a different phone.
ME: someone told me that entering the wrong code too many time permanently locks the phone - is this correct?
O2 GURU – : If you enter the unlock code(not PUK) more than 3 times then code gets locked not the phone
O2 GURU – : How many time you have used this code ?
ME: many many times!
ME: could I have a different code?
ME: O2 keep sending me the same code 32216366
O2 GURU – : Have you many time you have received this code ?
ME: O2 have sent me two emails with the same code

it went on like this for 45 minutes last night.
Message 22 of 68

MI5
  • 144625 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27729 Solutions
Mate, you're wasting your time.
The guru is wrong I'm afraid - you entered the PUK as the unlock code, if the phone was asking for the PUK he would be correct, but it isn't and he's wrong.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 23 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5

I think you're right.  I'm just on a mission now to get O2 to acknowledge that they're wrong.  I'm probably wasting my time with that too.

The PUK codes and the network unlock codes for this model are the same 8-digit format, so I thought they were they same.  I didn't know that PUK was for something different and that entering it would permanently lock the phone.  

I was simply entering the codes O2 were giving me, and it's killed my phone.  That's the point.

I'm going to try phoning them this morning.  People say that it's easier to get through in the mornings.  I just want them to admit it.

I'm going to make a formal complaint (letter in the post).  I know I'm not going to get the phone unlocked and I'm leaving them after 15 years anyway.

Message 24 of 68

MI5
  • 144625 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27729 Solutions
Unfortunately ^^^ that is the reality of the situation.
Just sell it as locked to o2 and get another phone when you move.

Currently using:
Message 25 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 - Thanks - you've been more help than anyone at O2.

I'm taking your advice and getting a new phone.

I want to make one last-shot complaint before I leave.  Live Chat is down this morning. It was down all yesterday evening too.  I phoned this morning and the message said the wait time is over 30 minutes.  

So the only way to contact them now is an old-fashoned letter in the post.

TalkTalk have a reputation for the worst customer service, which makes me wonder how bad they are if they are worse than O2.

Do O2 ever reply to these forums?

Message 26 of 68

MI5
  • 144625 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27729 Solutions
@Toby is our forum Manager who is the closest you'll get to an official o2 employee but the forum is run independently of 02. He can help though with contacting o2 if required.
Your best option now would be an official complaint, the link for which is on the contact page http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Currently using:
Message 27 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5

You, sir, are vindicated! 

I've just spoke on the phone to my *fourth* "guru" and they said they previous person was wrong and the phone is borked by entering the PUK code three times.

She went though the previous chat transcripts and said she would feed this back to them.

I was sure it was knacked, but I wanted them to say it.

She said there's a slight chance a factory reset might unlock it.

I had to use the new appointment system, and booked this call over 24 hours ago.

They should make it clear on the site that the PUK codes are not for unlocking, especially as the PUK code is next to the unlock my phone link.

Message 28 of 68

MI5
  • 144625 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27729 Solutions
Yes, I can see how that could be confusing.
Are they going to replace the phone for you now?

Currently using:
Message 29 of 68

Cleoriff
  • 123072 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

Great to hear @MI5is vindicated. He is rarely wrong @Anonymous Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 68