cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't unlock - code fails

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to unlock my phone.  I need to move to BT becuase their coverage is much better where I need it.

The MyO2 "manage your device" page give a 8-digit PUK number.  I tried this but it didn't work.

I clicked the "unlock my device" link and and 2 days later an email came with another 8-digit code.  This didn't work either.  

Every time I try, the phone displays "Network Unlock request unsuccessful", and prompts for the code again.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the code wrong?

I've forwarded the email to mycare@o2mail.co.uk, I'll see what they come back with.

Message 1 of 68
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
STOP ENTERING WRONG CODES.
You will hard lock it forever.
The PUK is completely wrong and the 8 digit code you got back sounds wrong too - it's usually around 12 to 16 digits depending on phone.
Fill out the manual form linked to here and see what you get back.
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SI...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 8 of 68
67 REPLIES 67

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

You will not get a response from the email it is a dead end. (No email support )

What phone 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 68

Cleoriff
  • 123391 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Are you sure your phone is locked? Try another sim in and see if that works?

Here is the guide to unlocking http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

The phone is definitely locked - I'm trying it with a BT SIM.

Yes - I discovered that the email is closed.  The email address is in the footer of the automated email.  I tried it and got an imediate reponse that email is closed.

I tried the live chat and told them the code fails.  They just gave me instructions to enter the code again.  I told them *again* I had entered the code.

They redirected the chat to tech support.  Tech support told me they'd escalate it and I'd get a reponse in 72 hours.  Wonderful.

They did say that the new SIM had to be activiated, which it wasn't.  I blame BT for this  - their instruction are to unlock the phone before activating the new SIM.

I've activated the BT SIM, and the unlock code still fails with the BT SIM.

I've spent 2 hours on this.

I'll wait a few hours to see if the BT SIM works properly and try the unlock code again.

Message 4 of 68

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I ask again what phone are you using I recently had issues with a works phone that i had to do via manual entry with no sim in the phone 

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  It's a Motorola Moto G.

Is it possible to unlock without a SIM?

Message 6 of 68

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

No only at the prompt on the handset from a search 

Mine was an old samsung handset that always said invalid sim even with an activated one.

Just trying all bases to help you .

Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 68

MI5
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
STOP ENTERING WRONG CODES.
You will hard lock it forever.
The PUK is completely wrong and the 8 digit code you got back sounds wrong too - it's usually around 12 to 16 digits depending on phone.
Fill out the manual form linked to here and see what you get back.
http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-SI...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 8 of 68

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5.

After an hour on chat to O2 support, I realised that the PUK code is not the network unlock code.  Entering that caused it to lock.  They should make this clear it's not for network unlocking.

They've explained this to me and are going to reset the unlock and send another code.

From what I've seen on the internet, the network codes for Motorola are 8-digit, so I thought that the NUK code was it.

I'm waiting for the email with the new code.

Message 9 of 68

MI5
  • 145096 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27832 Solutions
Just be careful before entering it and make sure it's different to what you've had so far.

Currently using:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 10 of 68