Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being charged for a phone call to Tunisia that I never made

Grain44
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I just received my bill from o2. My bill was £71.00 (it’s usually around £8)  Apparently I made a phone call to Tunisia on 31st March for 20 minutes.  I did not make this call….. I was on to a o2 rep last night for ages trying to convince them I made no such call.  The rep said he I must have made the call and that he has never heard of it happening before.  I did a very quick google search and this has been happening o2 customers since 2021.  So no idea why this particular guy knew nothing of such fraud.

There is an article in ‘The Guardian’ January 2023 on the same thing happening re: a phonecall to Tunisia and the person being charged hundreds of pounds.  
o2 really need to sort this out.  I have been a longterm customer for years.  I will be leaving asap. Seems just far too easy for scammers ro access o2 customers accounts.  Very worrying  

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147812 Posts
  • 639 Topics
  • 28355 Solutions

@Grain44 

https://seon.io/resources/dictionary/wangiri-scam-fraud/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CWangiri%E2%80%9D%20is%20a%....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 4

Mills888
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yep this is also happening to me but for a call to Africa. £300! They have cut me off after saying they will investigate. 6 months I heard nothing back. I have now reported them to trading standards. 

Message 3 of 4

Oxonian
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 8132 Posts
  • 167 Topics
  • 26 Solutions

That does not strike me as the kind of issue that will interest Trading Standards @Mills888. When you say O2 were going to investigate, did you submit a formal complaint ? If you did not, maybe it is now the time to do so :- 

How to Complain | Help | O2

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf (o2.co.uk)

https://www.o2.co.uk/documents/456036/4246828/Customer+Complaints+code+250523.pdf

The latter link outlines the escalation route :-

What happens next?
If you’re not happy after we’ve responded to your complaint, or if your complaint isn’t resolved after eight weeks, you may wish to refer your complaint to an Ombudsman. The Ombudsman is a free service, which will independently review your complaint. They investigate complaints fairly by listening to both sides of the story and looking at the facts. Their decision is binding on O2, but not on you as a customer.

Please keep us informed of developments. 👍

Message 4 of 4