cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBM for iOS and Android to Launch This Summer

Anonymous
Not applicable

So...with the news today from BlackBerry that BBm will be available cross-platform this summer, who of you on Android or iPhone are likely to install and use it?

(A wee hint, its better than WhatsApp!)

"WATERLOO, ONTARIO--(Marketwired - May 14, 2013) - BlackBerry® (NASDAQ: BBRY)(TSX: BB) today announced plans to make its ground-breaking mobile social network, BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM™), available to iOS® and Android™ users this summer, with support planned for iOS6, and Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or higher, all subject to approval by the Apple App Store and Google Play. BBM sets the standard for mobile instant messaging with a fast, reliable, engaging experience that includes delivered and read statuses, and personalized profiles and avatars. Upon release, BBM customers would be able to broaden their connections to include friends, family and colleagues on other mobile platforms.

In the planned initial release, iOS and Android users would be able to experience the immediacy of BBM chats, including multi-person chats, as well as the ability to share photos and voice notes, and engage in BBM Groups, which allows BBM customers to create groups of up to 30 people.

"For BlackBerry, messaging and collaboration are inseparable from the mobile experience, and the time is definitely right for BBM to become a multi-platform mobile service. BBM has always been one of the most engaging services for BlackBerry customers, enabling them to easily connect while maintaining a valued level of personal privacy. We're excited to offer iOS and Android users the possibility to join the BBM community," said Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President, Software Product Management and Ecosystem, at BlackBerry.

BBM is loved by customers for its "D" and "R" statuses, which show up in chats to let people know with certainty that their message has been delivered and read. It provides customers with a high level of control and privacy over who they add to their contact list and how they engage with them, as invites are two-way opt-in. iOS and Android users would be able to add their contacts through PIN, email, SMS or QR code scan, regardless of platform. Android users would also be able to connect using a compatible NFC-capable device.

BBM has more than 60 million monthly active customers, with more than 51 million people using BBM an average of 90 minutes per day. BBM customers collectively send and receive more than 10 billion messages each day, nearly twice as many messages per user per day as compared to other mobile messaging apps. Almost half of BBM messages are read within 20 seconds of being received; indicating how truly engaged BBM customers are.

Today, BlackBerry also announced BBM Channels, a new social engagement platform within BBM that will allow customers to connect with the businesses, brands, celebrities and groups they are passionate about. BlackBerry plans to add support for BBM Channels as well as voice and video chatting for iOS and Android later this year, subject to approval by the Apple App Store and Google Play.

If approved by Apple and Google, the BBM app will be available as a free download in the Apple® App Store(SM) and Google Play store. Additional details about system requirements and availability will be announced closer to the launch."

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22529074 bbc article

If it remains free I may use it on ios

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not sure my teenage daughter would be happy me having access to BBM ! Lol

I'm also not taken with having to collate PIN numbers to use it.

I'm sure for most they will take full advantage.
Message 3 of 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Everyone I need to contact is on WhatsApp and have been for years. It's a bit late to the party to make any difference to me.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

i use whats app but like adam says, if its still free, i'll give it a shot, didnt see this coming

Message 5 of 13

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

What with Google working on it's own unified messaging service and WhatsApp going into voice calls, it may be a messaging service too far......

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can see this being a plus for the younger generation who would be able to use bbm extensively across devices and due to the open boards they can register on to chat.
Message 7 of 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93248 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no need to collate PIN numbers. Once someone's PIN is entered into your BBM, you can forget about it.

To compare the instant messaging platforms:

SMS/text messaging - the method we all know and love, but does involve issuing your phone number which could then lead to unwanted communication.

iMessage/FaceTime are both cool but they get lost inside the clutter it does not have a distinct home like BBM, KIK or Whatsapp. I know alot of people who are never sure if they are sending an iMessage or a text.

Whatsapp you need someone's number or email address in order to add them (or through facebook integration, which then reveals your phone number). I think most people want to stay in touch but not provide such personal information ( think girl at the club or guy catching up with an old buddy)

Kik is alright but it's essentially a dumbed down BBM...and is riddled with security problems.

BBM with its unique pin for privacy, superior video/screen share and talk features. The PIN prevents the need to hand someone your email address or phone number, instead its a unique PIN. You can then also completely block someone's PIN so they can never add you again.

BBM also lets you see when a message has actually been Read, not just delivered to the device in the way that WhatsApp does.

I think the uptake of BBM will initially be slow but will then gather momentum.

Message 9 of 13

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

I wonder if this is going to be routed through the NOC and so be subject to the occasional outages. I guess it woud have to be.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 10 of 13