cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

02UK scam being sent to pay monthly customers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know where to post this but I'd just like to raise awareness for other pay monthly O2 customers that may encounter the same scam I just nearly fell in it.

I just received a text message from 02UK in which the message states - "Dear Mrs J*** P*****. We've made some changes to our website and your account requires immediate validation to remain active. Please follow this link: ----------------"

The text is from 02UK not O2UK in which the O is a zero.

I clicked the link thinking O2 with one of these special offers or what ever. Which it took me to a replicate of the O2 website in which asked for my login detail which I entered incorrect but still let me in. It then asked for my name in which this area was filled in already, address, postcode and DOB which was filled in automatic as well. I entered false details again which then asked me to enter bank details to verify myself. I thought it was fishy and went to O2 live chat asked them about my account and they said it may be some 3rd party message and to never entered my information into these links again.

I could have been robbed of my hard earned money and I don't want anyone else falling into this trap. It's quite a common mistake but I clicked on faster then one might think!.

Happy New Year! Don't fall for it!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Always look at links in emails - scam emails normally try to hide dodgy links - golden rule though never give any details away in response to an unsolicited email.

Message 11 of 15

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I always double check my emails - for example, if I get an email that says it is from the Apple store, yet when I click on the name it comes up a random email address, alarm bells ring in my head DODGY DODGY DODGY!!! Crazy

Message 12 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gemz4the1 wrote:

I always double check my emails - for example, if I get an email that says it is from the Apple store, yet when I click on the name it comes up a random email address, alarm bells ring in my head DODGY DODGY DODGY!!! Crazy

Agree. Unless I am expecting an email then I assume it is unsolicited and don't click on links. 

I prefer to go directly to the website from my browser by entering in the Web address myself. 

Message 13 of 15

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

I don't click on ANY links within the email (even sometimes if it is a trusted site).

I click on the bit where it says the sender and it reveals the email address that it was sent from.

Message 14 of 15

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys, I have received the below info regarding this issue and wanted to share it for your piece of mind. I will close off this discussion now, but feel free to PM me about the issue if you're having any more communication of this kind:

We’ve completed the investigation after reports from some customers about a new phishing scam. This attempt was triggered by a malware.  

To explain a little further, if a computer/laptop is compromised, the scammers can put on key loggers and other malware, this can be done when visiting legitimate compromised web sites, clicking on phishing e-mails or using unsecured wireless networks. They can capture keystrokes and screenshots of any systems that a user logs onto.  This information is then used by the scammers in targeted phishing emails and texts to make the user think they are genuinely sent from the originator because it appears to contain accurate information to the user.

To conclude, no personal data that may have been used within this phishing scam originated from O2.

We have a page on our website where customers can find out more about phishing emails, how to spot them and what they can do if they receive one that claims to be from us: http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/phishing#qs You can also check out our blog that showcase an example phishing email attempt: http://news.o2.co.uk/2014/05/29/phishing-alert-may-2014/

We take the subject of security very seriously and we’re constantly working hard to help prevent fraudulent activity from happening.  Customers who receive an email they suspect is a phishing scam just need to forward it to phishing@o2.com so we can investigate and shut down these scammers.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 15 of 15