cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texting Scam !

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm very disappointed in O2 . . .
& believe these guys are either scammers or like to lie down watching in glee as their customers get scammed!

I took a SIM card contract from O2 in Sep 2012 for £20/month
I trusted my bank account details to O2 believing they would be trustworthy !

Since then, O2 consistently charged me by direct debit at least twice the contracted amount !

Inquiring about this inconsistency today O2 told me some "third party company" had been charging me about £20/month extra by texting me useless texts every month.
They charged me for receiving them !
Notice: I did not incur these charges out of choice, It wasnt me who was doing the texting!

They had been charging me for some useless texts they made a habit of sending to me !
I had been charged extra a total of about £480 since I first took this contract back in Sept 2012
& this scam had started in in Nov 2012 almost immediately after taking my contract with O2 !

O2 told me they would speak to that scamming company & "hope it will stop doing this" !
They also told me I stand no practical chance of retrieving this money either !

How demoralising that
& how so untrust worthy of O2 to behave like that !

It happened in their watch & if I didn't check it out it could have carried on indefinitely

And why is it so difficult to view an itemised bill in their website ?!

I just think that is completely out if order & O2 should be held accountable for things like this,

because they must either have or take care to install the technology necessary for stopping customers being scammed for receiving texts that charge them through O2

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144143 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27621 Solutions
O2 provide you a fully itemised bill in your "My o2".
You need to report your issue to PhonePayPlus who are the regulator of premium text services who may be able to help you but you should have dealt with this 2 years ago, not leave it till now.....
Help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I'm a little confused. Have you been trying to get these texts stopped or have you only enquired about it today?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 12

MI5
  • 144143 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27621 Solutions
O2 provide you a fully itemised bill in your "My o2".
You need to report your issue to PhonePayPlus who are the regulator of premium text services who may be able to help you but you should have dealt with this 2 years ago, not leave it till now.....
Help thread here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 12

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

It seems to me that you are blaming O2 for your own inadequacy in checking your bill each month. If you had taken the trouble to check it two years ago you could have saved yourself hundreds of pounds. How are O2 supposed to know you haven't requested these services.

Message 4 of 12

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

I fail to see how this can be classed as a complaint. O2 can only bill for services. The complaint should be to PhonepayPlus

Message 5 of 12

Bambino
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

If the OP has allowed this to go on for two years without doing anything about it, I doubt he'd even get any comfort from PhonepayPlus.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144143 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27621 Solutions
It is very strange that one would wait 2 years to raise it as an issue ?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

Bambino
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Yes. Double your normal bill every month isn't something that would go by unnoticed.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 12

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6966 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Agree with the regulars on here. The OP really needs to take responsibility here. Either intentionally or not the OP has "signed up" to a premium service, perhaps by downloading a ringtone not realising it was a subscription service. Now 2 years on the OP blames the network.

Whichever network the OP was on this would have happened. It is not o2's responsibility to police everything we do on our phones.

If still being charged then the OP should contact the company and ask them to stop the service. Getting the monies back is unlikely as it should have been dealt with at the time.
Message 10 of 12