broken phone

mepedro
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi. Can someone help please.
I have an iphone x.
The face recognition is no longer working, and I have been told by Apple tech the phone isnt repairable.
The phone is 18mths old been well looked after and is in pristine condition.
Both Apple, And O2, are refusing to help, Because the phone is out of warrenty.
Do I have any rights to have the phone replaced. Or have I wasted £1000.
Thanks for any help provided.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@mepedro 

Unfotunately, unless you can prove it was a manufacturing fault which was present at the time of purchase, there is little else you can do.

Guide: Difference between SOGA and warranty / extended warranty 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

Charlieboyoo
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 284 Posts
  • 51 Topics
  • 6 Solutions
Apple phones come with one year warranty but If your phone was bought on contract and is still in contract yes they have to fix it or replace it.When you do a 2 year contract your paying for the phone you got over 2 years plus line rental.
Hope that helps.
Message 3 of 14

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's very contentious and there needs to be a precedent in court (I don't know if there has or not) but obviously this needs to be taken further by the op especially if O2 won't do anything and the contract is still being paid for One reason I would never buy any product from that bunch at Apple or an Apple device from O2 on a two year contract.

This is always a possibility of happening and I think the first thing would be to make a complaint. The problem is that if O2 don't then agree to repair the phone it will be a further 8 weeks before @mepedro gets a letter of deadlock in order to proceed. That's in the long term. Short term he has no phone yet is still paying for the device and the airtime.

Message 4 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
The long standing members on here know full well that O2 aren't interested after 12 months and just refer customers to Apple. Unless you're paying for Apple Care, they are equally as disinterested.
SOGA is the only hope as I posted above.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If the warranty is null and void anyway, I can't see any reason why @mepedro can't take it into a mobile phone shop to see if they can repair it?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Of course they can. The same as anyone else would without warranty or insurance.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That's what I would do then....and so should @mepedro wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I guess the fact that Apple have said it's irreparable is putting them off doing that.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'd think it was worth a shot.... If they say no, nothing lost.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 14