cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone displaying wrong "My Number"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought a PAYG iPhone yesterday and had my number ported over from my old O2 PAYG SIM today. The phone rings using my old number just fine, but when I goto "Settings" -> "Phone" the "My Number" at the top of the screen shows the number that the phone came with and not my ported number.

I put the SIM in my old phone (Sony k750i) temporarily and went to "Contacts" -> "Options" -> "Special Numbers" -> "My Numbers" and set the "My Mobile" setting to my ported number, it was the number that the phone came with originally. Then I put the SIM back in my iPhone but "My Number" was still displaying the number that the phone came with and not my ported number which is now tied to the SIM. (Found this info from google and it seemed to work for some but not others.)

I have tried a complete iPhone reset (which took 2h!!!) and still "My Number" is not showing my ported number.

I know this does not affect the iPhone's functionality in any way but it is really annoying that the wrong number is being displayed.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this sorted?
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had a similar problem with my recently ported number.

Initially the number was wrong in iTunes, Contacts & Phone Settings, so after reading this thread I tried editing the number using an ancient Ericsson phone (SH777). That worked for the Ericsson but not the iPhone - the number still being wrong in iTunes & Phone Settings but strangely the number disappeared from Contacts.

My iPhone then went faulty and was exchanged. After activating the new one, the number in iTunes disappeared as well but was still wrong in Phone Settings.

I then tried editing the number using a Blackberry (can't remember the model but I think they can all do it) which got me worried because the phone hung when writing the updated number to the SIM card. After putting the SIM back in the iPhone, the number in Phone Settings was correct but the number previously in Contacts was still missing but the one in iTunes has returned and is now correct.
Message 31 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm also having this problem after porting my number. I've just tried changing the number using the following phones:

SE K750i
SE Z600
Nokia 8910i
SE T68i (!)

All of them will update the number but in no case was the change picked up by the iPhone. I guess I need to find a newer handset to try...
Message 32 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
I managed to sort this on my new iPhone. The way I did it is as follows:

I inserted the sim card into my Sony Ericsson W800 and tried the following:
Got to: (you don't have to copy any contacts over to the SE that are on the sim)
Contacts
Options/more
My Special Numbers
My Numbers
My Mobile
Edit in My Mobile and just changed the number to the correct number.
Inserted sim back into my iPhone and it worked.

This method should also work with the SE K750i.
Message 33 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm, that's exactly what I did! And it should definitely work with the K750i if it worked with the W800, as they're basically the same phone. Very strange.

It definitely works with the number on the SIM - I changed to a different SIM card whilst the phone was on and it immediately changed to the other phone number. But nothing seems to be able to update my SIM card. Tried a newer Samsung with no luck.
Message 34 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
I fixed it using my dad's Blackberry Bold. When I put the SIM into the Blackberry it still showed the old number. Changed it and now the new number shows up on the phone and in iTunes. It looks like a Blackberry is the phone to use for this.
Message 35 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
yeah, I changed the number on the sim using my old Samsung F400 (put your iphone sim in the other phone go to the settings & my numbers & change the number to what it really is & choose save)
then put it back in the iphone & the my number on the phone settings in the iphone are now displaying what i typed in.

so any phone where it allows you to put in your own phone number should fix this.

thanks for the idea of trying that grin & good luck everyone.
Message 36 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
finally able to change the number in software update 3.0 (Settings > Phone > My Number) :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent: :robotindifferent:
Message 37 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
iPhone 3.0 software fixes this with out the need the use of another phone!
Message 38 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey all. Simple solution. On your iPhone go into:
Setting > Phone then select my number. Type your actual new number then Save.
Once you have done this then resync your phone on iTunes. The new number should show.
Paul grin
Message 39 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
hi all - you don't need to do any of these things, its a glitch with iPhone.
goto settings, iMessage, switch it off, then switch it bak on and out your apple id password in, then:
go to FaceTime and do the same switch off and on again.
That should do it grin grin
Message 40 of 47