cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone displaying wrong "My Number"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought a PAYG iPhone yesterday and had my number ported over from my old O2 PAYG SIM today. The phone rings using my old number just fine, but when I goto "Settings" -> "Phone" the "My Number" at the top of the screen shows the number that the phone came with and not my ported number.

I put the SIM in my old phone (Sony k750i) temporarily and went to "Contacts" -> "Options" -> "Special Numbers" -> "My Numbers" and set the "My Mobile" setting to my ported number, it was the number that the phone came with originally. Then I put the SIM back in my iPhone but "My Number" was still displaying the number that the phone came with and not my ported number which is now tied to the SIM. (Found this info from google and it seemed to work for some but not others.)

I have tried a complete iPhone reset (which took 2h!!!) and still "My Number" is not showing my ported number.

I know this does not affect the iPhone's functionality in any way but it is really annoying that the wrong number is being displayed.

Anyone have any ideas how to get this sorted?
Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just got an iPhone PAYG and I am also having the same problem of the My Number being displayed incorrectly. I have tried following the steps in previous posts, but it still does not update. I am using a Samsung D900 to edit the my number. It says it has saved it but when I put the sim back into the iPhone it still displays the wrong number. I have synced with iTunes hoping that that will correct the number, but it is still showing the wrong number in iTunes as well.
Any help would be appreciated.

So I had the same problem, drove me nuts! I went to the Apple store, who told me that I had to fix it in iTunes. I cannot find a way to fix this in iTunes, so then I went to the O2 store who then gave me a "replacement sim" (free) which I was able to port my number again to this new sim. Now my phone and iTunes shows no number, which to me is better than the wrong number. But I got curious to why when I edited the "my number" on my Samsung D900 it did not update in the iPhone, this worked on my wife's sim card and my iPhone, Then I remembered that her SIM was not 3G. So editing my Number must not work with 3G sim card, does anyone know of a way to edit the "my number" on a 3G sim????
Message 21 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I bought my original iPhone in November 07, it did not display any number. After my o2 number had been ported to the iPhone I found a post in the forum of how to get your number to display.

I put my iPhone sim into a SE K750i and edited the number in the "My Numbers" menu, when I placed the sim back into my iPhone my correct o2 number was displayed, when I changed to the 3G iPhone on its release I gave my daughter my old iPhone, as her o2 number did not show on the iPhone I used a Motorola V3i and did the same and again it worked. Not sure why this could have stopped working for others now. Also both sims were 3G ones so I don't think it has anything to do with them being 3G or not.
Message 22 of 47

fourqtwo
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 233 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 3 Solutions
I used much the same process, and it worked fine even when I had to have a sim change, I was able to put my number onto the new sim again.
It is important, when your technical equipment is not the best, to believe there will always be a better race; that is a part of my motivation. Ayrton Senna
fourqtwo (formerly cis01 until username became 'inactive')
Message 23 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I bought my original iPhone in November 07, it did not display any number. After my o2 number had been ported to the iPhone I found a post in the forum of how to get your number to display.
I put my iPhone sim into a SE K750i and edited the number in the "My Numbers" menu, when I placed the sim back into my iPhone my correct o2 number was displayed, when I changed to the 3G iPhone on its release I gave my daughter my old iPhone, as her o2 number did not show on the iPhone I used a Motorola V3i and did the same and again it worked. Not sure why this could have stopped working for others now. Also both sims were 3G ones so I don't think it has anything to do with them being 3G or not.

Does your current number show in your iPhone 3g, if so have you ever ported a number to that 3g SIM?
Message 24 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes it does, and yes I had a replacement sim in November last year, I used the same process to put my number back on the sim.

The sim card were ALL 3G, and I understand from o2 that the original iPhone came with a 3G sim, and that they have been supplying 3G once for some time since they introduced 3G phones.

This topic was covered back in around November 2007 which is how I got my number to display, so if you search the forum or Google search you should find the original thread.
Message 25 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I am stumped, my iPhone 3G/iTunes will not read the updated "my number" on my 3G sim. I have edited "my number" with a Samsung D900, Motorola Razor, and loads of different Nokia's, but an older non 3G O2 sim and both the iPhone and iTunes will recognize it what ever number I put into it. So if it's not the sim being 3G, I have no idea what the deal is.
Message 26 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to test, I have put my sim into a Motorola V3i, changed the number and put back in 3G iPhone, when I open my contacts the number that I changed to is shown there and also in iTunes. Have reversed the process using the V3i and put my actual number back on the sim and it is showing correct in my contacts and iTunes.
Message 27 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
I too can confirm it does indeed work if you edit the "My Number" field with a phone that allows you to.

I have tried this with an old Nokia 8850 and it worked perfectly. The iPhone reads the "My Number" from the SIM card, so aslong as you change it on the SIM it should show the updated number right away.
Message 28 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey, seems like the problem is with some part of the SIM not updating after the port. But the work around using someone else's phone to change default phone number on the SIM really works. I used a friend's Sony-Ericsson C902, didn't even have to sync, iTunes recognised it straight away. Now everything is sweet - for now!
Message 29 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
It looks like this is being caused by older phones not editing the number on the SIM correctly.

I changed the number on the SIM using a Sony Ericsson K750i and no joy. The iPhone and iTunes still show the old temporary number.

I changed the number on the SIM using a Sony Ericsson C905 and the iPhone and iTunes now show the correct number.
Message 30 of 47