cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 5/5s Case Review.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I have just upgraded to the iPhone 5s I wanted a case to compliment it.

After looking at many Internet Shopping Sites and High-Street Stores and chats through previous threads, I have opted to purchase the Official iPhone 5s Case in Black - Aniline Leather, which currently retails at £35.00.

The case is also available in Product Red , Brown, Beige, Yellow and Blue.

The Apple Case is made from soft premium leather and once the iPhone is pressed into place its very snug. 

So snug that it can be little fiddly to remove it

This iPhone 5s Case also extends a bit past the screen in front which forms a lip that protects the screen when you place the phone face down, and does not hinder the use of the screen.

No matter how close I looked at this case I could not find a single seam in the leather. 

The case is lined with microfiber on the inside to further protect your iPhone.

Apple’s attention to detail here is quite incredible as even the Apple Logo imprinted into the back of the case exactly mirrors the Apple Logo on the iPhone itself !

Their is an open slot on the left hand side where the mute switch is, which is a little hard to get to, and needs a finger nail to flick the switch mute/ringer on your iPhone.

The volume buttons and power button are all covered with raised leather, and are very responsive.

The bottom of the case is so precision cut that even the speaker and microphone grill holes are drilled out to exactly match the ones on the iPhone. 

The lightening port and headphone cut out could offer problems with 3rd party cables and docks, so it would be wise to check out these before purchasing them.

On the back the cut out for the camera and dual flash does not affect pictures taken.

The Good.

• Apples Attention to detail.
  • Adds very little bulk or weight to the iPhone. Approx 4mm to height and width.
  • Quality of materials and workmanship.
  • Microfiber Lining.
  • Fits like a glove.
  • 6 colours to choose from.
  • Lay on the table face down lip protection.
  • Compatible for the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s.
  • Minimalist design.

The Not so good.

• Can be difficult to remove.
  • Cost.
  • 3rd Party Cables amd Docks may not fit through the cases cutouts.

Pictures courtesy of Google.

iPhone5s case.jpg

red iphone 5s case.jpg

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looks like a nice case Bob
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely worth the outlay Damien.

Message 3 of 11

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

I've got the black one of these as well and it is a very nice case. I'm not 100% certain my 5S will survive a drop in it and I'm not willing to put this to the test for obvious reasons. However I have AppleCare+ so wouldn't be too worried if it did drop

Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Evening Dave,

I too wouldn't want to drop test the case on the iPhone.

Some other cases would probably survive a nuclear winter, but I'm not keen on wrapping this beautiful phone up in several mm's of rubber and plastic..... lol

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice review.

I’d considered the Apple Case when I got my 5s, but the negatives I have for it is that it doesn’t cover the screen. The raised lip design means that the screen isn’t going to get scratched if you put the iPhone face down, but this still means the screen isn’t covered.

Another negative I have is that I’ve heard its difficult to remove and this is important to me has I use my iPhone in a sports armband (when I’m in the gym) and this would mean needing to take the iPhone out of the case to fit it in the armband that I have.

In light of the above, I went for the Sena Ultraslim Classic case/pouch. The iPhone slips into this pouch and all of the iPhone is covered, including the screen. I paid around £19 for this and it fits the iPhone like a glove.

Sena Ultraslim Classic case

I really like the look and design of the Apple case though, I think its one of the nicest looking cases around, but for me for the reasons I’ve listed, its not for me.

Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good Morning @fatboy,

Its true the case can be fiddly at first to remove but as with most things 'practice makes perfect' ...lol.

Because of the design of the Apple Leather case not encroaching onto the iPhones screen a shield can be applied, and would not be affected by the case.

I submit its each to their own which keeps the 3rd party case makers in profit !

I hope you are well.

Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

My case arrived, and no, not the official Apple one

I love my case of ebay, only thing, the flash does not like it

Everytime I take a pic with flash on, it comes out foggy

So, I will need to change my case unfortunately...

bob, have you taken pics with flash on in your case yet? Is the Apple case flash friendly?

Thanks

Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi.

I've had no issue with the camera or flash being affected by the case.

That would be really embarrassing for Apple if that occurred ! Lol.

Which case did you choose that interferes with yours ?

At least then anyone searching for info on here will be aware.
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have bought one of those really cheap ones, no name or logo on the case, that's how cheap it was LOL

Covers the phone nicely, just a shame about the flash bit

So I DO NOT RECOMMEND buying cheap cases of eBay haha

Message 10 of 11