cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i phone 4s internet usage

Anonymous
Not applicable

anyone else have 1gb of data but its being used up in a matter of days?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do a search on these forums or the internet in general you will find ALOT of posts about this issue:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-b...

First things first, connect to WiFi wherever you can get it. This will ensure most of your data doesn't pass over the cellular network and so won't come off you monthly allowance.

Secondly, how do you use your phone? Do you stream video when not on WiFi? Are you accessing and refreshing apps like facebook alot during the day?

Try checking how many photos, etc are being sync'd over iCloud and consider switching iCloud off completely. From what I can gather iCloud is the biggest culprit when it comes to using data.

Another option is to go to Settings>General>Diagnostics & Usage, and ensure that "Don't Send" is selected.

You could also try going to Settings>Date & Time and turn off automatic updates.

Also check your outbox in your email as it may be as simple as an email which is constantly trying to send!

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you do a search on these forums or the internet in general you will find ALOT of posts about this issue:

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels%2Clocation&location=forum-b...

First things first, connect to WiFi wherever you can get it. This will ensure most of your data doesn't pass over the cellular network and so won't come off you monthly allowance.

Secondly, how do you use your phone? Do you stream video when not on WiFi? Are you accessing and refreshing apps like facebook alot during the day?

Try checking how many photos, etc are being sync'd over iCloud and consider switching iCloud off completely. From what I can gather iCloud is the biggest culprit when it comes to using data.

Another option is to go to Settings>General>Diagnostics & Usage, and ensure that "Don't Send" is selected.

You could also try going to Settings>Date & Time and turn off automatic updates.

Also check your outbox in your email as it may be as simple as an email which is constantly trying to send!

Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good advice there.

Although iCloud does have its uses.

If your iPhone glitches or you lose or have it stolen the backup in iCloud is essential to re download your data and settings, unless you remember to back up to iTunes.
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

On that topic, bandofbrothers, you'll know the answer to this...

Is it possible to set iCloud to only "backup" or sync during a particular time scale, ie once a week? This would probably cut down on the amount of data that people are using up, and at least they wouldn't have lost everything should the phone glitch or crash.

Or is this something we might see in iOS7?

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Sorry for the late reply but I'm at work, lol

As far as I know iCloud backs up when plugged into a power source, is connected to wifi and is locked {sleep mode}

You can go into settings,iCloud,storage & backup, and do a manual back up anytime.

I tend to do a backup via iTunes and iCloud once a week.

Out of the betas and discussions from developers it's still not clear what will be released in the Golden Seed final version.
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

So...you have iCloud turned on at all times I assume and therefore iCloud will backup when plugged in, on Wifi and locked.

I assume the manual backups you perform in addition to the default iCloud backup "schedule"?

Sorry, I'm just curious now haha! if iCloud only does backups in the circumstances you mentioned, does it ever send/recieve anything over the cellular network?

Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries.

I had an iPhone 4 pick pocketed a few years ago so I'm a bit OCD about it.

Yes the phone creates a back up when those parameters are met, and yes when I manually action a back up it adds to the list of backups I can choose from.

I also hook up to iTunes at least once a week and back up to my MBA just in case iCloud corrupts in any way !

I believe because of the size of some of the backups {you can buy more gb storage} if it was allowed to back up over 3G it would soon eat up a persons bundle.

Message 7 of 8

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Just to add to what everyone else has written, when you are at home and connected to wifi then turn off Mobile Data as when the phone is 'sleeping' it seems to use mobile data instead of wifi although there is a wifi connection available.

Had this problem myself with the 4s and turning data off overnight dramatically reduced usage.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 8 of 8