cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using 1GB data in A DAY!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used all of my data last month, and my next 1GB of data was put back again yesterday as I'd come to the restart date in the month. I reset the timers in my data usage settings yesterday evening so I could monitor it this month (I did go a bit mad last month, but it took three weeks for me to use it all).

So half way through today I got a message to say I had nearly used up all of my data! I thought this was an error and ignored it, as I hadn't used it much at all. So anyway, I've been home for the last 7 hours, and it's just messaged me again to say I've used up all of my data!? In a day!! WTF!? I've been home using wifi! I have seen threads saying that the new iphone 5 update 6 has caused data usage problems, but they seem to be from back in October, is this still an issue?! Surely not!! I think I downloaded it yesterday or the night before. My phone currently says I've sent 566MB already, but online here it says I've gone over the 1GB allowed. I realise it takes 12 hours to update, but there is NO WAY I have used all that data. I have been home most of today.

I have now downloaded data usage monitoring apps, but I'm really annoyed that I've got no data for a month now, and seemingly for no reason?! What is going on??

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even apps running in the background wouldn't eat 1gb in a day !

Ring Customer Services from your phone on 202 so they can check how and when it's being used.

I use the ip5 on 6.1.2 and generally use 1 gb a month and that's with pretty heavy usage.

If 02 can't help then make an appointment at your most local Apple Genius Bar so they can run a diagnostic on the handset.

Let us know how you get on.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are there any app running in the background? It updates via data around midnight every day so that uses data. Turn off mobile data when your at home as even though you are using your wifi, it still uses data if mobile data is switched on
Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Even apps running in the background wouldn't eat 1gb in a day !

Ring Customer Services from your phone on 202 so they can check how and when it's being used.

I use the ip5 on 6.1.2 and generally use 1 gb a month and that's with pretty heavy usage.

If 02 can't help then make an appointment at your most local Apple Genius Bar so they can run a diagnostic on the handset.

Let us know how you get on.
Message 3 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149431 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28496 Solutions
That's some pretty impressive usage 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 4 of 21

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94010 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

It will be interesting to know what your data usage app reports. That's an awful lot of data in a day.

Message 5 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I rang O2 this morning but their computers aren't working so they asked me to call back later.

I spoke to someone online instead, he said I had used all the data myself! I too as bandofbrothers said above, use my phone a lot, but normally data only runs out at the end of my data allowance, never in a day!

I said I thought it might be the version 6 iPhone 5 update, and he said that might have used all of my data, however I was on wifi when I did that! He said they couldn't reset my data as I had used all of it. I wasn't getting any help at all and he couldn't really give me any answers, he said my wifi at home maybe wasn't working, but my boyfriend also has an iphone and he isnt having any issues with his and he watches videos on his phone! he only said he'd send it to someone else to look into when I started getting really irate and typing in capitals!! He was asking me to pay for more data?! Surely this is bordering on a trading standards issue if the iPhone update sucks up your data and then they try and sell you some more??

I'm so annoyed!!
Message 6 of 21

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23994 Posts
  • 1046 Topics
  • 3773 Solutions

No point in trying to use online chat to resolve problems like this. If you search the forum you will find they are pretty useless. Best bet is to wait until you can speak to someone directly in Customer Services. With a holiday weekend on the horizon that might not be too easy. Hope you get it sorted out.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
It could potentially be the software update. I can't think how else it would be so high.

My manager updated then restored her phone on Saturday using mine as a hotspot and that used 3Gb so the update can be the 1Gb.

What usage app did you dl to monitor it?

Unfortunately CS can't see what it was that used the data or even what time of the day it was used at 😞
Message 8 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I used 2gb in like 5 days, bbc iplayer wink whoop whoop. As long as you haven't been steaming items to your phone, give CS a call. You can't use 1gb in a day! And never ever use live chat for account issues. There worthless? No idea why O2 actually brought them in?
Message 9 of 21

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Do you backup to icloud?

The ota update files for ios the incremental ones i.e. 6.1.2 are quite small  low as 20mb i have seen as high as 84mb (from memory) only the full ios update in itunes is a massive file near the 1gb size.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 21