Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unmitigated Gall

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23068 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Offer of a cheaper replacement? What about FREE????? 

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/28/apple-temporarily-drops-price-of-iphone-battery-replacement-by-50-pro...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@pgnYou have edited it back to it's original title so all's good.

It's just confusing when I have an email pop into my inbox from here with a title of a topic I thought I had never posted on....and then I click on it and it brought me here.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
I hadn't noticed that the topic was not included in mobile view until this was brought up.
Out of interest what was tje erroneous topic title?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 21

jonsie
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I find it quite astonishing that when asked if their outrageous clandestine action would also affect iPads and MAC they refused to comment. WTH ? 

Message 13 of 21

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35921 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
I hadn't noticed that the topic was not included in mobile view until this was brought up.

"And people will buy them...", @gmarkj

I know, cos it was I what dunnit, m'lud 😇

Message 14 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@gmarkj wrote:

"And people will buy them...", @gmarkj

I know, cos it was I what dunnit, m'lud 😇

I wasn't going to mention it ZippedWhistle

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 21

jonsie
  • 93224 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
Message 16 of 21

gmarkj
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Saw over the weekend that Apple are now offering to replace batteries for people that want them.
At a discounted rate of only $29!!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 17 of 21

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I don't get this business about new batteries for older phones.  Yes, you won't have to charge them as much but surely the slowing down is more to do with older phones not getting the latest updates? Perhaps I am just being a bit dim? Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 21

gmarkj
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Apple, in their infinite wisdom, decided for customers that battery life is more important than phone performance. (Part of this is down to the shut down issue that some were having despite the battery reporting some charge left.)
So in one of the latest updates they have slowed down some older models. No warning to customers, no opt in or out, just part of a software update.
They have since apologised, and offered the battery change as part of said apology.
If the battery is changed and registers as newer (somehow - manufacture date, number of cycles? Not sure) then the slow down is ignored.

Edited to add links to news stories covering this:

1 - https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/28/apple-apologizes-for-not-being-clearer-about-slowing-down-iphones-...

2 - https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/28/16827248/apple-iphone-battery-replacement-price-slow-down-apolog...

Message 19 of 21

Bydandie
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 29 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I must admit that I’m finding the hyperbole over this quite staggering.

Apple have ran two free swap out programmes after unexpected shut downs, and then found that the reason for the shutdowns was that the processor was asking for more power than aged batteries could deliver.  They then made a decision to ensure that a processor wouldn’t ask for more power than was possible, but didn’t inform the public that they were doing this (stupidly IMHO).

The whole planned obsolescence rhetoric is quite simply nonsense, my daughter is running iOS 11 on a 5s quite happily (which I changed the battery on for £20 early last year).  If the planned obsolescence conspiracy was correct, then she’d have a dog slow device.

We really do need to get some perspective here, most iOS devices are supported for 4 years in terms of iOS updates.  LiON battery tech is one that delivers a degraded charge no matter what handset manufacturer provides it.  

The issue is that most Android handset don’t get updates for more than 18 months (Samsung S5 or S6 isn’t Oreo) so they arguably don’t see increased features asking for more juice.  So, there is no planned obsolescence; merely a requirement to pay for a battery upgrade (which was £58 beforehand) to get the full performance back for a 4 year old device, which is getting current iOS updates.  Now, you might argue that you can already swap out your battery in an Android device, but that has never been for free has it?

For the sake of any doubt, whilst I use iDevices I have used Windows Mobile devices until last year and still flit between Windows 10 and OSX.  I use what works for me, and have no brand loyalty.

Message 20 of 21