cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spurious data charges

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do I get data charges on my bill every day (often twice, with one being always at 00:00:00) when I use virtually no data, these charges occur when I am almost always in a wifi area with wifi switched on and I have no apps running? This is costing me £20 per month and the one time I could get through to o2 they managed to offer no help at all. The only way I can stop them is by turning off cellular data.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes - to clarify I don't have data bolt on from o2 but then I rarely use the phone via the Internet. I feel I am being pretty racey when I do so - I think twice about downloading a single page. Nearly all is done via wifi. If I turn off cellular data that stops the charges (I think) but that is hardly the issue. What are these charges being incurred by (£20 per month) and why can't I run some form of check to see which application is incurring them - if any. I have read other posts on the Internet of a user who had similar problems and eventually got a refund from o2. I have been back through all my bills and find I have paid over £300 in 18 months to download the bbc football page half a dozen times. . . 

Message 21 of 27

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

If you have a smartphone it will have come with various apps installed and these will update themselves from time to time.

If you disable them all it won't happen.

If you're not sure how to do this come back here and we'll help you.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 22 of 27

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93341 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

If you want to leave cellular/mobile data switched on then make sure all location services, notifications and icloud services are disabled. These constantly update and no doubt account for the charges you are receiving.

Message 23 of 27

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
if it is apps n stuff updating.

you may want to think of the 100mb data package at only £3 a month. this is about the same as about 1. 1/2 days worth of the default max daily charge.

that way u won't pel ur pants on the odd occasions u need to go online!
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 24 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or switch it flightmode at bed time, no data, no phone calls = no dramas slight_smile
Message 25 of 27

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
unfortunately that doesn't solve the.problem as it will update as soon. as turned on it will do through updates.

as I said.I think the cheapest and.most sensible is to use the small data package for £3
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 26 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
If he is connected to wifi then once out of flight mode it will connect to that. I never had any data issues as its connected to wifi at home and office. Infact even when asleep wifi is instantly on, before os6 it would take a few seconds to connect.

Also to the OP make sure in cellular settings you have disabled all the options in "use cellular data for"

The only one I have enabled is FaceTime.
Message 27 of 27