cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spurious data charges

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do I get data charges on my bill every day (often twice, with one being always at 00:00:00) when I use virtually no data, these charges occur when I am almost always in a wifi area with wifi switched on and I have no apps running? This is costing me £20 per month and the one time I could get through to o2 they managed to offer no help at all. The only way I can stop them is by turning off cellular data.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

macblank
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
bambino. ..... no u can't
Old Phone Geek!!! A Mobile User Since 1993
Samsung Galaxy S3

Feel Free to Add Kudos, If I Have Helped slight_smile
Message 11 of 27

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23562 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3750 Solutions

Thanks macblank. So if that's so, is it possible to run up a charge of £20 per month from the phone just updating apps during the night? If so, that's an outrageous charge.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 12 of 27

macblank
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
if u have no data plan then u pay for each MB or part of one.

that's why the iPhone data bolt on is 500mb and it has to be set up specifically for iPhone data.

I'm surprised the CS who sold u the fone didn't explain this. this MAY be a reason for a formal complain and MAYBE a refund.
Samsung Galaxy S3

Message 13 of 27

Bambino
Level 85: Esteemed
  • 23562 Posts
  • 1035 Topics
  • 3750 Solutions

It's not my complaint. I'm not the OP. I'm just curious about these iPhone data charges and have been asking questions about it. The OP never said what kind of phone he has, but as he's posted in the Apple section, I presume he must have an iPhone. I just didn't realise that you couldn't completely switch data off on an iPhone, as I'm an Android user and you can.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 27

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93341 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

I must be missing something here. My iphone downloads nothing when mobile data is switched off.

From what you are saying when you go overseas you will always get data charges. Not so. I have never had data charges when roaming and no data usage at home when data is switched off.

Don't want to get into a debate about it but I can only speak from personal use of an iphone.

Message 15 of 27

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I must be missing something here. My iphone downloads nothing when mobile data is switched off.

As the OP says, which makes me think he's running it without a data plan.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 16 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

jonsie is correct. You can turn off all cellular data access on the iPhone under Settings => General => Cellular => Cellular Data, and all data will then be restricted to wifi only.

There is also a setting to turn off 3G under Cellular, but that will only stop data using 3G, so you can still be sending/receiving data over 2G.

When I go abroad, I turn off Data Roaming, Enable 3G and Cellular Data (overkill I know), and I have never been charged for any data usage.

Message 17 of 27

macblank
  • 520 Posts
  • 19 Topics
  • 23 Solutions
ah that's not what I was told by CS. I must admit I know CS don't know it all (or anything (giggles))

however as I said earlier, that this is why they say u need the specific iPhone data Bolton
Samsung Galaxy S3

Message 18 of 27

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Is it possible to have an iPhone without a data plan?

yes if you buy it sim free from apple or off ebay.
Or you buy on payg and change the payg type to non text and web

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 19 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@macblank wrote:
on the iPhone u CANNOT completely turn data of. even if u turn everything off some stuff continually update behind.

It is possible to turn off mobile data completely on the iPhone.

You, go into Settings/General, there is a setting called MOBILE DATA, touch this and you are then presented with an option to turn on or off Mobile Data, and also the ability to turn off 3G. You can also turn off Data Roaming too for when overseas to avoid expensive data roaming charges.

With Mobile Data switched off, you are then restricting all data to wifi, this includes email, web browsing, push notifications, and apps that use a data connection too.

Message 20 of 27