Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up iPad 2 from Scratch

DinoF
Level 12: Nimble
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

So I recently 'upgraded' (the term 'upgrade' is very loose indeed!!) my iPad 2 from iOS 7 to iOS 8 (and now iOS 8.0.2) but if I am honest, wish I had left it on iOS 7, or even iOS 6!!

My iPad 2 ran so nice and smoothly on iOS 6, it was a joy to use. The along came iOS 7, with all its 'bells and whistles' and whilst I did indeed jump on it right away, my iPad seemed to cope with it ok-ish! There were the odd times when it would stutter (the animations, if anything) but on the whole, it ran iOS 7 ok.

Now, that I have iOS 8 on my iPad 2, it is running like a snail!!:smileysad:  I did an OTA update (from iOS7 to iOS 8, and then onto iOS 8.0.2).

It seems to not be able to cope with ANY of the animations (the zooming in and out of apps/folders), so much so that when you tap on an app/folder on the screen, sometimes, it literally takes at least 5 seconds for it to respond, and when it does, the 'zoom' animation then stutters no less than 2 or 3 times before the app/folder finally opens - it really is truly frustrating Destroy

I have tried turning the animations off but this reallty doesn't make a difference as you still get a 'fade' animation - which still stutters!!

Safari is also a dog to use  - opening and browsing websites  really is a frustrating experience as well! 

There are other things as well but its the fact that touch screen, more often than not, does not appear to react to a touch so that when you tap an object, you have to sit and wait for the iPad to catch up with you. This is very obviouis when entering text into websites - you hit the letter keys, and get no response, and then 3 seconds later, the keyboard responds with all you previous key presses, all in one go.......DestroyCrazy

I am wondering if this is down to iOS 8 in general, the fact that I upgraded OTA or something else?!

Would deleting everything off my iPad and starting again from scratch, from a pc work better, in whcih case, how would I download and install a fresh copy of iOS 8.0.2 from my laptop, to put onto the iPad - or is this not possible!?

Its actually making me not want to use my iPad anymore...........Sad

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144199 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
If you connect up to iTunes and make a backup you can then choose to restore the ipad which will download a fresh copy of the latest OS and install it. You can then try it out and / or restore your previous back up.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144199 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
If you connect up to iTunes and make a backup you can then choose to restore the ipad which will download a fresh copy of the latest OS and install it. You can then try it out and / or restore your previous back up.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

...so connecting to iTunes, will give me the option of making a Back up to iTunes, as opposed to the Back Up I have in the cloud?

And when I restore (whilst still plugged into iTunes), do I restore the Back Up I have in iTunes or the cloud?!

Sorry for the stupid questions - never done a restore before...!!! Don't know

Message 3 of 10

MI5
  • 144199 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
Yes, you will have to change the setting to "back up to this computer" then choose if you want to back up apps as well or not.
After the OS restore, choose the file you just created the back up from off your PC to restore your personal files, settings and apps (if selected to back up originally).

Currently using:
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
To be honest downloading over the air or via iTunes shouldn't make a difference. It's the same files.

It's more likely either your iPad is struggling with iOS 8 or you could perform some spring cleaning by deleting unused apps etc and maybe moving things such as pictures etc to Dropbox.

If you hook up to iTunes just press restore and your iPad will be refreshed by a clean iOS 8.0.2.

Then in the set up process of your iPad choose a previous back up or set it up as new and re enter your apps etc all over again.
Message 5 of 10

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

..perfect - cheers MI5 - appreciated!!

Hero

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144199 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
No worries mate - Good luck slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

DinoF
  • 603 Posts
  • 39 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
To be honest downloading over the air or via iTunes shouldn't make a difference. It's the same files.

It's more likely either your iPad is struggling with iOS 8 or you could perform some spring cleaning by deleting unused apps etc and maybe moving things such as pictures etc to Dropbox.

If you hook up to iTunes just press restore and your iPad will be refreshed by a clean iOS 8.0.2.

Then in the set up process of your iPad choose a previous back up or set it up as new and re enter your apps etc all over again.

...I heard that doing an OTA update, just updates the existing files whereas doing an update whilst plugged into iTunes on a pc, will download and install all the files over the top of the existing ones - potentially giving it a 'cleaner' version of iOS 8.0.2.

Are you saying it won't make a different?  I still have 6Gb (of 32gb free so its not as if my iPad is clogged full of stuff.

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144199 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27634 Solutions
iOS8 requires a huge amount of space to update OTA and the only way you can reinstall it now is through iTunes anyway.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've performed updates using both methods which have attained the same results.

People have preferences on how they perform this update. Obviously those with less than the required available memory use iTunes.

Which is my preference via iTunes too. No particular reason - just my preference.

One of the reasons some do a clean install is to remove old jail break files.
Message 10 of 10