cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet whilst taking a call

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a new o2 customer since (fri 3rd September), I have a iphone 6 and a 4g tariff however I have some issues browsing the web whilst on a call.

Basically I have full 4g reception, as soon as I make a call, the 4g will turn into 3g. A few moments later the 3g symbol will also disappear a few seconds into the call.

When I select safari the web page attempts to load but then suddenly comes up with an error message saying ‘mobile data connections are not available during this call’.

As soon as I end the call, the 4g signal will return and I can continue to browse with no problems.

My friend who is currently sat right next to me at work, she has a iphone 5s on and old 3g tariff and she can browse the internet whilst on a call with no issue.

I have since spoke to an o2 ‘guru’ on live chat with no success, he told me to reset my network settings ect but no luck.

Can anyone one here help me out…?

Thanks guys.

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

4G isn't compatible with voice calls and thats why the handsets changes to 3G or 2G.

This isn't a fault with the handset or the service, its just you cannot make calls on 4G

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

4G isn't compatible with voice calls and thats why the handsets changes to 3G or 2G.

This isn't a fault with the handset or the service, its just you cannot make calls on 4G

Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes when I'm in a call my phone drops from 4G to 3G and then when the call is ended 4G is re established.

You should be able to browse just fine.

You could get the phone checked out at an Apple Store via http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/geniusbar/
Message 3 of 15

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
You should be able to do both on a 3g connection but if the phone drops to 2g it will be call only.
If the 3g connection is strong enough there is no reason why the phone shouldn't stay connected to the 3g signal.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok i understand now why it goes from 4g to 3g, but why should it go to 2g? i have stong enough 3g signal..?

Message 5 of 15

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

If you have strong 3G signal then it shouldn't drop to 2G. Maybe an Apple store to get the phone checked is a good option.

Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

ok thanks guy, one thing i forgot to mention is, when i end the call, the netowork will be on 'E' then few seconds later it will go onto 3g and then few seconds after that onto 4g.

could this be an issue with my number porting across recently..?

Message 7 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

ok thanks guy, one thing i forgot to mention is, when i end the call, the netowork will be on 'E' then few seconds later it will go onto 3g and then few seconds after that onto 4g.

could this be an issue with my number porting across recently..?

Thats completely normal.

Basically the handset is looking for the best signal possible.

Message 8 of 15

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

It shouldn't be. The fact that it's dropping to E shows the phone isn't picking up a strong 3G signal.

Message 9 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

If i go into settings, mobile, enable 4g and turn this offi have 4/5 bars of 3g signal.

if i then make a call, it still drops to 2g...?

Message 10 of 15