cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, my iPhone 5s stopped working yesterday afternoon, screen went black with big which vertical line. Then that disappeared. Took to Apple today who said it was a logic board issue and not caused by customer misuse on a form they told me to take to Carphone Warehouse. (Where I'd got phone from) They just laughed and said Apple were always sending people in with these forms and gave me one of their own. Highlighted part said, 'For goods purchased in Scotland these rights expire 5 years from delivery of the goods. A claim under uk consumer law may be made subject to the defect bring present at time of purchase.' They said that as the problem hadn't occurred within 6 months then there was nothing they would do. My monthly contract is with O2 and on live chat tonight they said I'd just have to pay the update early fee of £159 if I wanted a new phone. Apple would charge £199 for a replacement. My phone was a year old on 20th September and my contract is for 2 years. I've been onto Which and consumer rights sites tonight but cannot get a definitive answer to who I should be taking this up with, O2, Carphone Warehouse or Apple. Can anyone help with this and also should I bother or will they all just give me the runaround for months anyway.

Also Apple put the wee sim into a bigger card so it would fit into another phone but I've tried an old Nokia and Samsung tonight and wouldn't work in either. I need my phone for work so if I buy a phone in Tesco for example will they know if an iPhone sim will work in an ordinary wee disposable?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous Apple (iPhones) only come with a 12 month warranty unless you go on to purchase a further year with Apple Care....So I don't think you have any comeback with anyone sadly. This is despite the fact you have a 2 year contract....

Did you think to ask Apple about the cost to repair the phone by replacing the logic board?

If you buy a cheap phone in Tesco as you suggest, you would be better getting a sim from them at the same time. They do work with the O2 network...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Your o2 sim will not work in a Tesco phone, you'd need a Tesco sim in a Tesco phone. Your better off paying off your device plan & upgrading to get a new phone 

Message 3 of 19

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Sadly CPW is right, after 6 months the onus is on you to prove the fault is heredity and was present when sold by the retailer. Moving on to apple, they only offer a 12 month warranty and not obligated under the sales of goods act, as CPW sold the handset to you. I would take this back up with CPW and explain that under the sales of goods act the item should be fit for purpose and last a reasonable length of time. So although ts now down to you to show the fault was present or is heredity to that line of devices, your particular handset didn't last a reasonable length of time. As it's reasonable for your phone to have lasted until the end of your minimum term. This won't be a straight forward battle, but if your persistent you should get either a repair or refurbished replacement.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 4 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've emailed CpW but not holding my breath! I'll just use an old phone borrowed from a friend until September then it's back to good old pay as you go. Between this iPhone and Samsung android that was a bother from first month I think PAYG is definitely for me with a cheap old Nokia. No more Apple either as this iPad has been in and out of the shop with glitches all over the place. Don't seem to be contracts under 2 years now and phones aren't built to last as long as the contracts.
I think I'll email them all again actually as reading scottish consumer rights expectation is for iPhone to last same time as contract, especially as fault is inbuilt. It's not much bother as I'll be using another phone and leaving them all in September so may as well try.
Thank you.

Message 5 of 19

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Best of luck
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cleo, Apple said £189 or similar but it would be cheaper to upgrade early. But I'm probably better off PAYG as I don't use wifi or emails outside very much so wouldn't bother me not to have it. 

Message 7 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous yes you have to go with a phone and tariff that suits you......Though you may want to try a Samsung next time. They do come with a 2 year warranty.....and are vastly superior to iphones...(in my opinion of course) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry Cleoriff my last phone was a Samsung that stopped working after 5 minutes and was constantly in for repairs. Had to pay for early upgrade to get away from it. I battered it to a real death with a wooden rolling pin. As soon as rain stops I'll be out back doing that to iPhone. In all the years with mobiles only one make has been no bother, Nokia. They don't have all the bells and whistles but maybe that's why they're so reliable. PAYG isn't really financially suitable for me, will definitely work out more expensive but don't want to be tied to another handset for years again.
Happy new year to you all when it comes. 🍾

(Unless you work for Apple, CpW or O2. And Samsung as the bad memories are still there!!)
Message 9 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry Cleoriff my last phone was a Samsung that stopped working after 5 minutes and was constantly in for repairs. Had to pay for early upgrade to get away from it. I battered it to a real death with a wooden rolling pin. As soon as rain stops I'll be out back doing that to iPhone.
Happy new year to you all when it comes. 🍾

(Unless you work for Apple, CpW or O2. And Samsung as the bad memories are still there!!)

I love this story...and hey.... I never knew folk still had wooden rolling pins LOL

Please buy a phone that suits then...and a very Happy New Year to you @Anonymous wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 19