cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One contact receiving randomly old texts from me instead of new one?!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

So, I have a weird problem.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus, on O2 and I have one contact in my phone book who, when I send him an SMS/text, replies to say that he has received a message from me, but it's an old message that was originally sent and received weeks or months ago, instead of the message I actually just wrote and sent.

It doesn't always happen but seems to be pot luck whether he gets the message I intended, or some random historic message from me instead.

On my end, this only happens with him, and for him, this only happens with me.

I have tried deleting his contact and re-entering it etc, and also, I thought that requesting a delivery report by putting *0# before each message might have helped for a while, but the problem still persists.

I have no problem receiving correct texts from him, by the way.

I just rang O2, where a disinterested operative just said it must be my friend's fault, and that was that, but I asked that it be looked in to.

Given that I fully expect O2 to say there's nothing wrong their end and it must be my friend's fault, does anyone know what might be going on here?

My friend is on Virgin and has a very basic Nokia phone (not a Smartphone - he's a bit of a Luddite...), if that's any help.

Thanks

M

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Yes, the old Nokia phones won't receive any more than one text at a time and because the network thinks the entire text has been delivered, the 2nd or 3rd parts don't always arrive.
Sometimes they do though, but much later on.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Try replacing your sim first.
It’s free to do in any o2 shop.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous have you had any luck with getting this issue sorted yet? 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, thanks for the responses!

Well, I rang O2 again to see if I could speak to someone else more helpful than the disinterested bloke the first time, and I did speak to a chap who suggested I get my SIM swapped.

So, I deleted all saved messages for that one contact that I was having the problem with, and went to the O2 shop to get a new SIM and things seem to be OK now, but for how long, I don't know.

Will keep an eye on it!

M

Message 4 of 11

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

That sounds promising @Anonymous! Please keep us posted on any developments. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 5 of 11

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
That's the usual fix slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Argh!  It's happening again!

Except this time, he's not getting an old message of mine, but instead it's stopping at "messa* some text missing*" and not loading the rest of the message.

I'm thinking that because he has a very basic Nokia (non-smartphone) phone, it's having problems with long messages that exceed the 160 character count, or whatever it was back in the day...?

Today, he's been getting all my short messages ok, and even when I resent the long one, he got that, so it's all very erratic, as it wasn't working yesterday.

He's suggested going back to using Royal Mail.  Apparently there are some very nice writing sets in the sales...

Message 7 of 11

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Yes, the old Nokia phones won't receive any more than one text at a time and because the network thinks the entire text has been delivered, the 2nd or 3rd parts don't always arrive.
Sometimes they do though, but much later on.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, yes, I'll stick to sending him short texts and see if that continues to be ok....

Technology eh....

Message 9 of 11

MI5
  • 144175 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Progress slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 10 of 11