cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Occasional missing texts

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I've been with o2 for just under a month now on a sim only tarrif after porting my number over from three.

What I've noticed is occasionally the odd text from people on my previous network three are not coming through to my phone. This is happening at different locations so I don't think it's a local mast issue, more an o2/three or my account issue. I've noticed a few recent posts about missing texts on here, are o2 having problems at the moment with texts?

Note: I'm using an iPhone 5s, usually have a 4G connection and I didn't notice it until a few days after my number ported over.

Cheers
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

Have you checked to see if you may have inadvertently blocked the numbers of the people whose texts you're missing?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 11 of 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
^^^probably not that, as it is just a few out of lots (others are getting through)

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
No blocked numbers and Sms is checked.

As I say some texts are getting through its often say the 5th text or something that suddenly gets lost. Last night the 2nd of 2 came through to me. Both Sms were short (below 160 characters) too, so it's not like it was 600 characters or something causing an issue, although at first I suspected that could be the problem as it was larger (multi combined sms) that were missing, last night seems to blow that theory out.

Cheers
Message 13 of 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12053 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1122 Solutions
most of the missing text problems associated with an iphone relate to moving away from them, and not across a network (generally imessage causing it).
as you are still on an iphone, but have just moved networks that doesn't seem to be the case.
have you tried to use imessage instead (or is that the standard messaging app?) to see if that fixes/causes the problem?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 14 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
It's the same app on iPhone but yes most text issues are connected to iMessage, one way or another.
I suppose you could try deactivating iMessage and see if it still happens or just simply re-registering for iMessage may help too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use both iMessage (to people with iPhones) and standard sms to people with other devices (android etc), the people with iphones/iMessage don't seem to have a problem, it's standard sms from the three network I'm getting the occasional missing sms.

So we know iMessage works
We know sms works
We know occasionally a random sms is not coming through to my phone (appears to be from three only so far)
We know just under a month ago I ported my number from three to an o2 sim only taffif.

Time to call customer services to check my account? Could do with getting it sorted out as I don't like my girls thinking I'm ignoring them.

I might be over thinking the problem here, but my number was originally an o2 number that I ported to three in 2006 and recently ported back from three to o2, and its between o2 and three that I'm getting problems

Cheers
Message 16 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Think I will try turning off iMessage just to test. I had an issue directly after porting my number as the wrong number was on iMessage (temporary SIM card number) but I deactivated iMessage and changed the number on my handset to the correct one then reactivated and iMessage worked then.
Message 17 of 21

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
That would be what I'd try next too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 18 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok chaps, this is what I intend to try..

1) turn off iMessage
2) remove SIM card and clean with dry cloth
3) manually register on another network, when it fails re-register on o2

Hopefully that will fix the problem, I'll report back in a few days, thanks for all the advice

Cheers
Message 19 of 21

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
One or all the above "should" fix it.
If not, it's account related.

Currently using:
Message 20 of 21