cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 and IMEI block for iPhone 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

I'm posting here for a friend, who I think is a bit of an idiot, but NVM.

He has an iPhone 5 which he purchased from O2 13 months ago. still has 11 months left on this contract. 

He is moving away to Australia indefinitely and is thinking of just cancelling his direct debits and taking the phone with him. He also recently had to get his iPhone replaced (direct by Apple) due to a fault with his original phone. 

The original phone was carrier unlocked, and the new phone is carrier unlocked. 

Now, moral and credit issue aside for him, what would actually happen?

Would O2 block the IMEI for non-payment? And if so, would the new iPhone's IMEI be blocked, as it wasn't the original phone supplied by o2? And finally would an IMEI block affect carriers in Australia? 

I'm hoping he just pays off the contract like a good human being would, but would appreciate the answers.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.
Message 11 of 19

Deag
Level 9: Fired up
  • 134 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 13 Solutions
If he cancels the direct debit they cannot force the payment to be made. A cancelled direct debit is a cancelled direct debit, it means his bank no longer have authority to give O2 any money. They could take him to the county court but they cannot force payment still.
Message 12 of 19

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@gemz4the1 wrote:

O2 will keep pestering for the money back.  Cancelling the direct debits will not help as they could still force the payment to be made and therefore the bank account may go overdrawn.

No they won't and Deag is right, they can't force a dd payment if it's been stopped.

O2 will pass the debt to a collection agency and forget about it after marking their credit down.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 13 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
He has taken out a contract and therefore should just pay the 2 months off. If he can afford to move to another country he should be able to just cancel earlier.
Message 14 of 19

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
He has taken out a contract and therefore should just pay the 2 months off. If he can afford to move to another country he should be able to just cancel earlier.

it is 11 months they have to pay!

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 15 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, either way they should keep paying. When people do runners from companies like O2 it's the rest of us that have to pay the price.
Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's what would happen:

The IMEI would most likely be blocked - this means can't be used in UK/NI.  However, could still be used in some countries.  If he sold the phone to someone before doing the runner, they'd have a nice, shiny new brick.  Morally wrong.

O2 would chase him for the money, and when they get bored of that they'd send his file to a debt recovery agency and place a default on his credit file, which would stay there for 6 years (maximum time allowed) before dropping off his credit file.  Only an issue for him, if he's coming back within 6 years, but still morally wrong.

Either way, sorry to say it, but your friend seems like a chancer!

Message 17 of 19

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

@gemz4the1 wrote:

O2 will keep pestering for the money back.  Cancelling the direct debits will not help as they could still force the payment to be made and therefore the bank account may go overdrawn.

No they won't and Deag is right, they can't force a dd payment if it's been stopped.

O2 will pass the debt to a collection agency and forget about it after marking their credit down.

I apologise for wording it wrong - I did not intend for it to come across that the direct debit would still go ahead - I meant that the money would still be owed to O2 and cancelling the direct debit would not mean that he did not have to pay O2 anything - the bill will still be there.

Message 18 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable
For the record once a direct debit instruction is cancelled by the account holder at their band o2 are unable to take payments from the bank account.

Gemz4the1 and Perksie are correct that o2 will pursue the debt and report the default to various credit references agencies
Message 19 of 19