cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Insurance - Will my claim be void if I replace parts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, my phone got water damaged on a recent holiday. I have insurance with o2, but really want to back up my data before sending my phone for repair. I think the battery could be water damaged. Do you know if my insurance claim would be void if I were to try replacing my battery? The data on my phone is valuable, which is why i want to try and back it up before sending through for repair.

Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
iPhones backup to iCloud every time you put them on charge and are connected to wifi.
Sure, it relies on the owner setting what is backed up but once set it's all automatic and effortless.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I guess you've not got an iCloud backup?
TBH, I wouldn't do anything to the phone as insurance companies will find any excuse to not pay out, and changing the battery wouldn't necessarily fix it for you to get your data backed up either.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

It's likely that more than the battery is damaged. The water will have shorted out various components. Please don't mess with the phone. If you haven't backed up the phone regularly then you have a big problem. You should backup regularly at least once a week. 

If you risk changing the battery you can kiss goodbye to any insurance claim. 

Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
iPhones backup to iCloud every time you put them on charge and are connected to wifi.
Sure, it relies on the owner setting what is backed up but once set it's all automatic and effortless.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous! Sorry to hear about your phone! 😞 Please do let us know how you get on with it?

Message 6 of 6