Did you mean: 

Mobile broadband in Portugal with iPads

AndyColeman
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

My wife is taking our kids to Portugal for the Easter holidays. They will be taking their iPads with them but the iPads are wifi only. In the past I have tried using my iPhone as a hotspot but while this works in the UK it would not work in Portugal. I assumed this a restriction from the carrier in Portugal.

I am thinking of buying one of the mobile broadband devices (pocket hotspot) from O2 but I am concerned that when my wife gets out there it will not work. Is there a way to check up front whether it will work?

An alternative would be for my wife to buy an equivelent device out in Portugal but as she is not that technical I am not sure if she will be able to set it up.

Thanks

Andy

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
O2's mbb devices won't work abroad. The data can only be used in the UK.
Since the roaming rules changed, however, you can now use your phone as a mobile hotspot, but you are limited to the amount of data you have normally on your UK allowances.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
O2's mbb devices won't work abroad. The data can only be used in the UK.
Since the roaming rules changed, however, you can now use your phone as a mobile hotspot, but you are limited to the amount of data you have normally on your UK allowances.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 9

AndyColeman
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know. I was in portugal last summer and it would not work with my iPhone at that time. My son's iPad connected to the hotspot on my iPhone but any attempt to access the internet from the iPad would not work. Back in the UK I it works fine which is why I assumed it was an issue with the carrier.

Thanks

Andy

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Actual performance will vary with the speeds of download you get and O2 do state that traffic management will be utilised for streaming services so you won't get the best experience from it, but other than a local sim or seeking out wifi hotspots, there are very few alternatives.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122349 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AndyColemanThree have mobile broadband plans which can be used abroad with tablets etc.

One word of advice, set it up before you go to ensure the sim is activated.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Every other network has mbb tariffs that can be used abroad except O2, hence I would never consider taking one from O2 and why my tablet runs on Three UK.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122349 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes it's ridiculous. O2 are missing a trick here (another one)  and are sadly falling behind other networks.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Shouldn't come as any surprise these days....
I'm not even sure how they get away with it as you can't "roam like at home" due to the restriction which contravenes the EU directive.....

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

AndyColeman
  • 8 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks to both of you for the advise. I will look into what three have to offer.

Andy

Message 9 of 9