Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iphone 6 16GB, Unable To Activate Touch ID

Anonymous
Not applicable

Phone bought 22 months ago

No AC

Screen replaced with apple in Feb this year

Ok, so no issues what so ever until the IOS10 was installed 2 weeks ago. Now the phone has a touch ID error and fails to work. All the usual things have been tried, flatten the phone, re-install backups, start as new phone and still nothing.

Finally managed to get an appointment at AS and went through the diagnostics with them and low and behold, it shows a software issue with the TOUCH ID. 

So, the reset the phone or recovery mode as they called it, holding down the sleep & hold button whilst connecting to itunes. Great, it works again. 

A notification came through of an update on IOS10 (version 3 i believe) and im back to square one. 

Ive tried replicating what they did at the genius bar nut to no avail. The phone upon start up says "unable to activate touch ID"

O2 have washed there hands of it and dont want to know, Apple say they can replace the handset at a cost of £200+.

As this was shoing as a software fault, unless im missing somthing here, this seems absolutely disgusting. 

Has anyone experienced this? does anyone have any other dvice as to how to proceed or is this a case of suffer the loss of an otherwise perfect Iphone 6 with out so much as a scratch on it?

Any sensible advice always welcome

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
10.0.2 is the latest isn't it?

Yes or 10.1 beta 

For the general public I meant, of course.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 37

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@MI5 True but anybody can join the public beta for free. 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 12 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi MI5

Thanks for that, im busy doing that right now.

Im a bit sceptical of this method as it worked briefly and then came back again. But thanks for taking the time to reply, im folloing those steps exactly and will be back on in half an hour or so to let you know if it at least activates the Touch ID again

Thanks

John

Message 13 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Still going   Astounded

That link did show me however, i didnt enter DFU mode correctly, hadnt realised the timing was critical. 

However, its been over 30 mins so far, but i think i may have had a very slow net connection

Message 14 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try a restore via iTunes or a replacement via Apple if still in warranty. Don't bother with o2's repair service. They don't have the best of reputations
Message 15 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capture.PNG

Its still going, phoes blank and iTunes shows the above?  anyone any ideas?

Message 16 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

How long has that Been showing? Are you on The latest iOS update 

Message 17 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive been on for over an hour now, Itunes is on the latest update.

Message 18 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

The software maybe downloading first before the restore begins

Message 19 of 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

hasnt made a blind bit of difference

Same error message, touch ID unable to activate. 

Still caouldnt replicate what they did at the genius bar though. With the customer service ive recieved from O2 over this and waiting on my 7+, i really feel like attaching it to a brick and showing them how an ontime delivery is really made

Disgusted to say the least 

Message 20 of 37